Sport 42mm must needed accessories??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dcslick, Dec 20, 2015.

1. dcslick macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am getting a Sport 42mm watch and I am wondering what accessories if any is a must? I have been looking around and I have seen sites saying bumpers and screen protects are must needs. Is that true? Is the Ion-X glass scratch resistant? Does the watch scratch easy? Any suggestions is much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course sites that sell accessories will say that their accessories are must needs. Really the only accessory that is a must need is the band (yes, bands are considered accessories in the watch world).

Watches are considered jewelry so treat them as such.

3. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I don't have any bumpers or screen protectors and my Sport still looks new after 5 months. I don't baby it... wear it 15 to 18 hours a day while working, riding my bike, doing chores around the house. I will take it off for the dirtier yard work chores, because that's where it would be most likely to suffer a major scratch.

The only needed accessories in my opinion are an extra band or two. You can buy Apple bands or less expensive third party bands. A different band can completely change the look of the watch and adds some versatility in terms of what clothing it looks good with. I think rotating between two or three bands also helps avoid skin irritation that can come from wearing the same dirty band all the time.

An optional accessory that is nice to have is a charging stand. I like having one because it keeps the charging puck from falling behind my nightstand, and it gives me a place to put the watch so I don't bump it off the nightstand. You can get plenty of good options for under $20 that will work with nightstand mode.

Sean

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I agree with Sean on the charging stand. An Orzly works nice and doesn't cost much.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

There are just two things I'd like to get for mine:

- More straps. I've got the silver SS on a black sport band (most versatile combo, IMO), but I'd like to dress it up sometimes with a classic leather strap. I also miss the ease and security of the steel bracelets on my regular watches, so some type of bracelet would be cool.

- Charging stand. I don't even have a bedside table right now -- I keep the charging puck plugged into my laptop. Not many of the third-party stands have really caught my eye; they look inconvenient to pack for travel and commandeer my only charging puck. I'd really like Apple's charging pad, though.

None of these are "must have" for me. All the cases look cheap and might help scratch the watch as dirt gathers underneath. None of my other watches have cases; why would I start now?

6. dcslick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all!! I really appreciated the responses.

7. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Different Watch bands are a nice add-on and I also have the Spigen Nightstand for charging the Watch in landscape mode. So far, I only bought additional Sport Bands, but I am considering a leather band, as well.

TxWatch

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Stable charging stand, both stable stand and stable AW after placed on stand, with some silicone/clothes protection to SS case is must have if you use AW in Night Stand mode with alarm in the dark.
    Unless you have a silicone/clothes surface night table, or you plan place watch on a pieces clothes, fumbling to snooze in the dark will definitely scratch SS case to night table.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple is actually nice enough to provide a watch stand complimentary with the purchase of an AW. Just use the bottom half of the case it came in :)

10. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

For SS and Edition, possible but will not pass significant other's bedroom decoration requirement.
    For Sports, that long case just kill it.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Edition actually comes with a fancy magnetic charging case (midnight blue or rose gray depending on the model).

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Not my style for bed room night table. A square box, as fancy as it is , just look so old fashion from last century on night table.
    In the closet is different story.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You do not need anything. The screen IS scratch resistant with the key word being resistant. It can be scratched just like watch body but I would not go putting a protector on it, but that is up to you. The newness wears off and you will hopefully just enjoy it after a brief time of worry.

14. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I really don't think you are going to "scratch" the SS watch if sitting on a table next to your bed. Flat surface against flat surface is not where scratches usually come from. Maybe if you knock it in the floor. Also, you don't have to even touch the watch to check the time in night stand mode. With the latest Watch OS release, its so sensitive now that if you just tap the edge of the table the watch will light up. Unless you are a gorilla, I can't imagine that hitting the alarm off button will cause any scratches either.

I just don't see a need for a night stand because I take the watch off just before I'm turning the light out... sometimes after, and I put the watch back on as soon as I wake up. I would never actually see the watch on its stand in daylight. At night, it self supports just find laying on the table next to my bed.

So to answer the OPs question, you don't need any accessories for your watch beyond the charger that it comes with.

15. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You could let me borrow your SS AW for a week. I will sent it back with scratch from my night table for free on the house.
    My already has too much scratch before I purchase charger stand.
    When I am wake up in the middle of night, alarm clock could fly anywhere when I search for snooze button.
    Don't believe, just let me borrow your SS AW.