Sport Band Irratation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ChrisPowder, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ChrisPowder macrumors member

I've been an Apple Watch wearer since day 1 and am loving it so far. But unfortunately I am getting a fair bit of discomfort from the sports band and have had a small rash on my wrist ever since I began wearing it.

Initially I wasn't too bothered, but of late it is really starting to get on my nerves. I have tried it on different levels of tightness, but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone out there with the same experiences can provide any tips as the longer it goes on, the more I am considering selling up :(

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Where's the rash? Is it localized to where the stainless steel pin sits, in which case you might be allergic to nickel, or over a more general area, indicating that you're allergic to the band itself?

If it's nickel allergic, there are various solutions that some members have done, such as applying nail polish to the SS pin.

3. SpEe1113 macrumors regular

SpEe1113

Good point. Just another random thought (although the post above is a much better answer), are you working out with it? And if so, do you wash the band after working out? Just to make sure sweat isn't playing into your problem. If it's hot out and you're working out or running, etc., could it be a heat rash or is it all day long irritation? Just a couple other things to consider depending on how you're using it... hope it gets better!

4. ChrisPowder thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Hadn't heard of nail polish as a solution. I assume this would need to be reapplied every week or so?

My rash consists of two parts, one where the stainless steel pin is (obviously a nickel problem), and another on the side of the wrist where the band tucks through the hole. I've tried it on the next hole up incase it is too tight, but it is way too loose.

Thanks for your reponse :)

5. ChrisPowder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. I don't work out, but I don't clean the band very often at all. I'll clean more often from now on :)

6. GrumpyMom, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

You can just rinse the band under water. I wouldn't use any kind of soap on it if I were you. Soap can leave a residue and some of them, especially the antibacterial kind can leave an irritating residue or degrade the band over time. I work in gardens and get the band's very dirty but rinsing under plain water cleans them very well, even the bit of sunscreen that may get on them.

Oddly I have been having a problem with only the pink sport band. I ended up with an itch on each wrist after I flipped the watch from an itchy right wrist to an untouched left wrist. I suspected the itch wasn't a rash but a very tiny bug bite. And sure enough it was from bugs, I don't know the species but they were tiny things. I think they were attracted to the pink color. When I wear my black band I don't get bites. I haven't tried wearing my blue or white band while gardening yet.

Edit to add: ah, thanks Google. I solved the mystery. The bugs are thrips and they are attracted to blue, yellow, white and hot pink according to various sites, especially this one: http://ecaaser3.ecaa.ntu.edu.tw/weifang/Hort/screens/thrips.htm

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No need to worry about this. Fluoroelastomer is type of synthetic rubber (elastomer) compound. About the only thing that will degrade it is a strong acid. No matter what you do almost all of these bands will still be around in landfills a long time after we are dust. :D