Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Has anyone attempted to remove the pin from their sport band? I've been looking around and can't find anything. I'm wondering what the possibility is of removing the space grey pin and putting it into the white sport band.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Even if this could be done I would be concerned about long term security of the watch. I'd worry that the pin might pop out at any time hurling my watch to the floor!

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I think the pin is part of the molding process to insure it stays put. I doubt it's a glue that is holding the pin in place.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2012
I thought it'd be more like this:
XacChdA.jpg
with the band just stretched over it

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2012
I'm thinking the pin is attached somewhat like a rivet would be on a pair of jeans?
Yeah that's the other type I was thinking of which also makes sense. Maybe I'll bite $50 or find someone with a used one and take it apart.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
Has anyone attempted to remove the pin from their sport band? I've been looking around and can't find anything. I'm wondering what the possibility is of removing the space grey pin and putting it into the white sport band.

Use a black Sharpie on the pin!

starbot

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2005
The pin is definitely over-molded/insert-molded into the strap. The elastomer material is molded around the pin and as such, it is not meant to be removed. I can assure you, removing it would result in a very loose fit!

fania123

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Using fine sandpaper rough up the tip, then tape it off and shoot it with some flat black paint.

ashleybell

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
View attachment 587522 View attachment 587525 I'm trying it now, and it's not molded to the band, but there is a piece of hard plastic that is molded to the band which is inserted into the metal pin. I suspect that it is infact riveted around the plastic. I had a spare band so I bit the bullet and cut it, not going well. hope this helps.
Interesting! I had a fake white band from Amazon ($10) that was getting discolored from sunscreen (or so I thought). I took it apart to see the pin closure, and it turns out that instead of a plastic washer between the two metal parts, there was a steel washer that was rusting. The basic way it attaches to the band (which I do think is mechanically identical to the original Apple watch band) is the band is created in three layers, like one of those swiss raspberry layer cookies. The top layer has a hole that abuts the edge of the pin flange. The middle layer goes all the way across but has a small hole in the middle for the screw post from the bottom layer to pass through to connect to the inside of the pin post on the top (like a Chicago Screw). The bottom layer overlaps the washer and abuts the edge of the stainless flat disk head. There is no way to take this pin out without destroying the band, as far as I can tell. This is so hard to describe without illustrations, so I've attached pics of my rusty band! 125-98_swiss_raspberry_preserve-filled_cookies_250.jpg
IMG_6617.JPG
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.