Sport Band Pin Removal

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ElRojito, May 23, 2015.

1. ElRojito macrumors regular

Has anyone attempted to remove the pin from their sport band? I've been looking around and can't find anything. I'm wondering what the possibility is of removing the space grey pin and putting it into the white sport band.

2. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Even if this could be done I would be concerned about long term security of the watch. I'd worry that the pin might pop out at any time hurling my watch to the floor!

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I think the pin is part of the molding process to insure it stays put. I doubt it's a glue that is holding the pin in place.

4. ElRojito thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it'd be more like this: [​IMG] with the band just stretched over it

5. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

I'm thinking the pin is attached somewhat like a rivet would be on a pair of jeans?

6. ElRojito thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the other type I was thinking of which also makes sense. Maybe I'll bite $50 or find someone with a used one and take it apart.

7. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Use a black Sharpie on the pin!

8. starbot macrumors regular

The pin is definitely over-molded/insert-molded into the strap. The elastomer material is molded around the pin and as such, it is not meant to be removed. I can assure you, removing it would result in a very loose fit!

9. dylan1996 macrumors newbie

Any answer to this? Did someone ever try it out?

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

image.jpg

11. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

image.jpg image.jpg I'm trying it now, and it's not molded to the band, but there is a piece of hard plastic that is molded to the band which is inserted into the metal pin. I suspect that it is infact riveted around the plastic. I had a spare band so I bit the bullet and cut it, not going well. hope this helps.

12. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

Using fine sandpaper rough up the tip, then tape it off and shoot it with some flat black paint.

13. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

No wonder they are expensive. All the effort is in the pin :D

14. ashleybell macrumors newbie

ashleybell

Interesting! I had a fake white band from Amazon ($10) that was getting discolored from sunscreen (or so I thought). I took it apart to see the pin closure, and it turns out that instead of a plastic washer between the two metal parts, there was a steel washer that was rusting. The basic way it attaches to the band (which I do think is mechanically identical to the original Apple watch band) is the band is created in three layers, like one of those swiss raspberry layer cookies. The top layer has a hole that abuts the edge of the pin flange. The middle layer goes all the way across but has a small hole in the middle for the screw post from the bottom layer to pass through to connect to the inside of the pin post on the top (like a Chicago Screw). The bottom layer overlaps the washer and abuts the edge of the stainless flat disk head. There is no way to take this pin out without destroying the band, as far as I can tell. This is so hard to describe without illustrations, so I've attached pics of my rusty band! 125-98_swiss_raspberry_preserve-filled_cookies_250.jpg IMG_6617.JPG FullSizeRender 3.jpg