Sport Bands wobbly?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by NovemberWhiskey, May 23, 2015.

1. NovemberWhiskey, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I just got my first Sport Band 42mm, and it is a bit wobbly even after locking into the watch mechanism. I am talking about where the straps meet the actual watch body. Looking closely, there is a very very slight gap around the watch band side, like they do not fit perfectly.

Previously I had a Milanese loop and that thing was solid and fit perfectly.

If you wiggle the band, there is some lateral movement between the band and the body.

Stainless Steel 42 mm Watch

2. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

I have a 42mm Sport with a blue strap, there is a small amount of play in the strap engagement, I don't think this is unusual as the ones I tried on in the apple store also had the same tiny amount of movement.

I have a black sport strap on order and will be interested to see if this has the same play or fits more tightly.

3. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

i had a 38mm SS white sport band - and it fit tight without any movement at the "slot".

Now i have the 42mm space grey with black sport band, and the band wiggles - a lot. it clicks too. annoying, but i figured, hey - its the cheaper model. just doesn't fit as tight.

4. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

I believe Apple has a recall on defective bands. The center springs fail and the locking mechanism becomes crooked.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Have a link to the recall? Or any info?

6. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

Ive got a 42mm sport with the green sports band. Mine is a bit wobbly too where the band meets the watch. I just assumed it was normal!

7. rosario1990 macrumors regular

I need this too. Want to know more about this.

8. Skorpio, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

Sport Bands wobbly?

Technically, I read a post here about the band problems, but searching I can't find it. In one post, the OP showed pictures of the internal springs of the bands pushing the lock out, and a defective one where the lock is sloped to one side unevenly, causing the band to loosen, and possibly wobble. Here's a copied article on a discussion about it, and tattooed sleeve issues-

9. sgw086 macrumors member

A little bit of play and "wobble" as described is normal. My 42mm bsb does the same. However, when its on my wrist, there is no wobble. I asked the Apple Store rep and he said for the sport this is normal as well.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

This ^^^^

I think Aplle meant there to be a little bit of slack in the width as all of the sports bands do not fit flush to the watch. It is likely planned to be that way as everyone I have seen has this slight gap on the ends.

11. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I have a BSB that does have the "wobble" described as well as the occasional clicking.

Interestingly, I just picked up a Blue SB and it doesn't wobble or click at all.

Is this an issue with the Black bands or normal?

12. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

I have a 42mm SS, bought with a Black Classic Buckle.

The green elastomer sports band I got is really snug, no play in it whatsoever when installed.

13. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

14. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Black sports band on a 38mm space grey sport. Just noticed the wobbly behavior yesterday. I assumed it was normal.

15. KitzelFox macrumors newbie

Just bought a 42mm White Sports band for my SS model. Pretty wobbly on both straps... Assumed it was normal since they both click into place properly. It doesn't bother me and I certainly can't feel it while I am wearing it. Besides the fact - I love it! So much more comfortable than my Milanese band, but I will be keeping that one when I want to wear something a little more "fancy".. :)

16. Surfin3591 macrumors newbie

Just got my 42mm sport with white band. Bottom band fits snug but top band has some wiggle to it. Took it to Apple Store and got a very vague response to my question "is this an issue or normal?" I was told "some" movement is normal but if I didn't feel comfortable to have it replaced. I imagine it is a band QC issue more than QC issues of some watch openings being machined too large, but then again I was offered a brand new watch instead of simply a replacement band. Who knows.

17. Spicedham macrumors regular

18. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

My black one now has a wiggle and slides in and out effortlessly.
    When new it was a snug fit and no wiggle.

Just means it's broken in, no biggie.

19. linhromrom macrumors member

38mm BSB, wobbles too, i think its normal, notice it since day 1.

Mine don't click, and I havent seen one that "click". Lock and everything is very secure, i play racquet sport with the watch on 4 days a week. Definitely is very secure then.

20. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

21. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

All the sport bands I have come across wobble