Sport Durability vs Pebble

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thatsmyfish, May 9, 2015.

1. thatsmyfish macrumors regular

With my Sport due to ship in the next week or two, I wanted to check in again. Lots of users have opinions on whether the Sport is fragile versus the SS versus spending less money for a first generation product.

I currently use the Pebble Steel and have no issues. I appreciate the quality of the body and have never scratched the glass. I accidentally wacked it against a handrail once and put a small dent into the side but did not damage or scratch the watch face.

For those who used both, I wanted to confirm if you find the quality of the aluminum to be inferior day to day to the Pebble steel body and if you can confirm whether or not the ion glass is equally durable to the gorilla glass on the Pebble steel.

I don't want to spend $200 more on a first generation product and if the Sport is not the watch for me I would wait until the next generation. I just suspect it is as durable, if not more, than what I am currently using without problem.

Thanks!

2. abuskeletor macrumors regular

I had the original Pebble, kickstarter edition, not the Pebble Steel, but my Sport has proven very durable in comparison to the original Pebble. I know, not really a fair comparison.

Here's a post I shared earlier on my experience with the Sport's durability:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21237049#post21237049

3. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I accidentally put my original Pebble through the wash and it came out unscathed and operating perfectly. I don't think my Apple Watch would've done the same.

4. Mapple86 macrumors regular

Origibal pebble has a plastic screen which will scratch very easy. I was very carefull and scratched it very much.
    The steel has a gorilla glas display like the sport watch.
    My Steel got some really fine scratches after one year of use. Only visible in direct sunlight and if you are searching for.

I think the apple watch sport will be the same. Maybe it will scratch faster because of the rounded edges.

5. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

But I should not experience any hardship going from a Steel to a Sport, aside from that? The ion will be comparable to the gorilla?

6. Mapple86 macrumors regular

As far as I know apple never called the iphone glass gorilla glas but it is gorilla glas.
    I think gorilla glas and the ionx glas will be the same.

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

With only two weeks Apple watch use since launch day, it may be a little early to tell how durable the sport watch is, but I have to say that comparing my Pebble Steel and Apple sport watch, the Apple watch isn't showing any marks or scratches, and if anything feels a little weightier and solid than the Pebble.

The Apple watch glass is raised from the body so it may be more susceptible to scratching, where the Pebble Steel's is flat and slightly recessed, but from the reports I have seen, neither watch seems easily damaged.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Depends. I imagine it would be fine in a pocket..

9. bruceabbott macrumors member

I've bumped my SG Sport a couple of times. Heart sank... took a good look and low and behold, it looks good as new. No scratches on the screen either. The digital crown stuck yesterday but a rinse under warm water while turning the crown solved that.

My only gripe is the entire time I owned my OG pebble, the rubber watch band that it came with looked brand new through the end. My black apple watch band is wearing where the two sides rub together. You don't notice it when the band is tucked in but it's still a bit disconcerting.

Bottom line- bands are kind of cheap, those can be replaced. The watch itself is rock solid.