Sport edition clarification

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by philon13, Mar 9, 2015.

1. philon13 macrumors newbie

Ok, So I was convinced I was going to buy the stainless steel Apple Watch, Although after the pricing was announced I was a bit disheartened. I was looking at the Sport edition but was not 100% if I would be able to buy the Sport edition and then buy a smarter strap as the site doesn't clarify this.

I have since then spoken to Apple Via their Chat facility and have been assured that if you purchase the sports edition then all the other straps are compatible! This means that you can pick up a Sports edition and a classic buckle strap for under £500!

I have attached the confirmation from the Apple chat.

Since this is the case I am not sure how many people will be buying the mid range model.

Attached Files:

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

The only problem is that it won't match....

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I have to say I don't like how shiny the SS ones are. But good to know I can buy a dressy band for my Sport... For those dressy times.

4. philon13 thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't match up as it would with the stainless steel model but its not like it is going to clash. It will still look stylish and for the amount of money I am saving I am happy to have a strap that doesn't 100% match up.

I am planning on getting the Space grey sports watch and the black classic buckle. From the photos on the site it should look great!

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

A lot of people still don't understand this. They are all compatible, is more of an aesthetic issue of them not matching.

Its going to look odd having a stainless steel hinge on a space grey aluminum watch. The stainless steel Apple Watch has more option available that would all still match.

Attached Files:

6. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Awesome, I learned this too from a chat representative Giovanna. She also said you will be able to preorder the silver aluminum sport with a black band. I am not totally convinced she is correct however, I hope so though.

7. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Well your definition of stylish is certainly different to mine. Clash is exactly what it is going to do.

8. philon13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do see the point about the black and the stainless steel bits on the strap although the silver sports watch should be fine.

9. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

The Silver Aluminum Sport Watch will look fine with everything except the Milanese, Modern Buckle and Leather Buckle. The Link Bracelet should look fine as well.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

She probably means you can buy an aluminum sport and a separate black band. The apple site clearly shows the "out of box" variations.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Sure, go ahead and buy a sport, then buy an upscale band that costs MORE than the watch itself! Apple will gladly enjoy their > 75% margin on the bands. The better value (and better looking option) is to spring for the stainless steel watch and buy an extra rubber strap for $49.

12. philon13 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Sports watch with a classic buckle strap is £339 (for the watch) + £120 (for the strap) so the watch and two straps will come to £459.

Whereas the stainless steel watch (£599 ) with the buckle strap and then the sports band (£39) will total £638.

So Apple can enjoy the higher profit margins on the straps, Ill enjoy my saving of £178.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly, I rather get a SS Apple Watch and use a sports band until third party bands are made. I know that they said that they used alloys to make their sports watches 80% more harder when compared to regular aluminum but still. It's that premium feel. I feel that the SS Apple Watch is priced accordingly, it's the bands that are ripoffs.