Sport Space Gray marks around screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by codeman7, Jan 7, 2016.

1. codeman7 macrumors member

Hello! Does anyone else's Apple Watch look like this in the seam between the display and the body?
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.47.36 PM.png
    I bought an Apple Watch a few months ago, and noticed that there were little flecks of silver in the seam between the display and the body. I never returned it, being too excited to have it, and finally last week brought my watch to the store. They said that was wrong, submitted it for repair, and I got my same watch back a week later with a report of no damage. I then arranged an Express replacement, which came in the mail today, and it has the same marks. Is this just supposed to be normal?

2. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I sometimes get bits of dust between the aluminium and the glass but nothing like that..

3. codeman7 thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking this isn't normal or I'd have found threads on it here (heh), but now that the replacement they sent me looks the same way, I'm doubting myself.

4. Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

This is not normal, my watch has the same but not as much as yours but when I first got it they weren't there

5. fabio.lordelo macrumors member

Mine has the same marks, it's pretty similar to what used to happen with the iPhone 5 Space Black, it looks like the coating is peeling off in this area around the screen. I remember that was pretty common in the iPhone 5, that chamfered bezel got a lot of tiny scratches, but the difference is that this area around the screen in the Apple Watch is too small, it's nearly impossible for anything to be touching and scratching it.

I've sent an email to Tim Cook complaining about this and the lack of support from Apple to solve this issue. Just got a reply from an Apple employe who's gonna call me to know more about the issue. I'll post some pictures of my Watch later.

6. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I got a similar nick right on the edge of the aluminum like that. Most of the time it can't be seen but in certain angles it shines for a moment which is annoying. Totally my own fault though, it appeared after I had thoughtlessly shoved the watch into a pocket where I had a bunch of loose coins. I won't be doing that again.

7. codeman7 thread starter macrumors member

Would be great to know what you hear from them.

8. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

Mine has the same flecks in the same spot on one corner. I thought I got it from rubbing on a metal door when I was doing some work. I had to shine a flashlight on my watch to see exactly where it is, so it is not very noticeable unless the light is strong.

9. codeman7 thread starter macrumors member

Hm, are you sure they're the same spot? I can't imagine a door (or much of anything else) getting in the very tight seam between the glass and the inner edge of the watch body and causing this.

10. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I was doing the work, hit the watch on the door, looked at it and saw the marks. My watch was only about 2 weeks old at that point and I had looked at it earlier and not noticed them. I was bummed that I had already put marks on my new watch! I agree it seems unlikely but that is my only explanation of how they got there, unless I just missed them before. That is certainly a possibility.

11. Mr. Y macrumors regular

I have the same marks on mine, and in the same place. Also a bit of a scuff on the glass part of the watchface corner, but these are a result of "wear and tear", or, in my case, bumping into doors.