Sport Video camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by axeldtf, Jun 5, 2012.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

Can anyone recommend a decent sport camera that is rugged enough to mount to a helmet or handlebars. I've researched the gopro but I really dislike the fisheye effect.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a couple Oregon Scientific cams and they are great.

3. TonsOfFun420 macrumors member

I can only comment on the GoPro, only one I have used. It is super rugged and the fish eye effect isn't very strong; they also make flat lens kits, I'm not sure if they remove the fish eye effect but people use them for underwater filming to get rid of distortion. Check out my videos you will see the fish eye effect isn't that noticeable: http://www.youtube.com/user/frozengroundfilms

4. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts and advice.. great vids!

5. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

Im a GoPro owner and I must say Im very satisfied. You don't have to film in full 170 FOV mode with the GoPro.

It supports full 170º, medium 127º, narrow 90º FOV (all in 1080p).

I concidered buying a contour, but it's mounting system sucks compared to the Gopro's. After alot of research I found the gopro to be the best action cam.

One warning though, a descent setup will cost more than just the camera bundle. You will soon find you need/wan't additional mounts, sd-cards, backup/storage-solution for you computer :)