Sport vs SS weight is irrelevant, you're crazy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Stokkes, May 1, 2015.

1. Stokkes macrumors member

Been reading a lot of posts about people using weight as an excuse to choose the Sports model. It struck me as ill-informed due to the weight differences of the Sport vs SS which is about 20 grams for the 42mm (case only, band not included).

Let's put this into perspective. Every time you move, lift or manipulate your arm, you are expending energy.

The average arm weighs about 5-7% of your total body weight. For argument's sake, let's use 5%. Assuming you weigh 150lbs, your arm would weigh about 7.5lbs.

7.5lbs in grams is 3400g. 20g, the difference between the Sport and SS is therefore about 0.5% of your arm weight. This number is less of course if you weigh more than 150lbs! Even if you weigh 100lbs (not uncommon for some petite women), that's only about 0.8% (still under 1% of your arm's weight). And this number is even less if you're contemplating the 38mm.

Bottom line, you may notice a difference when trying the watch on in store, especially if you try both the Sport and SS in quick succession, but the argument is completely bananas to think that it will impact your workout, will tire you arm, or any other stories someone can think of for using weight as any kind of deciding factor.

Time to be informed. Perceived weight differences between Sport and SS are simply FUD.

2. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I tend to agree that the weight will be a non-issue after using it for a little while. I kind of like the weight of the SS model. Makes it feel solid and a bit fancier.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Simply put they are all so light you hardly notice you have a watch on. TO ME, anyone buying a sport version to "save weight" is being silly.

5. Stokkes thread starter macrumors member

That's the bling factor :)

----------

That's the thing, not even just TO YOU, but to everyone. Sure, the first few seconds you try both on, you'll be able to tell which is heavier (humans are very good at distinguishing between very subtle weight differences), but after 5 minutes, the difference will be imperceptible.

6. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

i shave my arms before every workout to lower the weight as well as the drag from air resistance. So I bought the sport iwatch. Besides. That is why they call it sport!

7. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

"Is it heavy?"
    "Yes"
    "Then it's expensive...put it down."

--Jurassic Park

8. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Could this come into play with a link bracelet maybe? An apple store employee told me the sport band weights more than the aluminum watch itself.

I have a link stainless steel conventional watch that is noticeably heavier than anything else I've worn on my wrist. It's also the only link bracelet I own, and it may be the movement as it has a little room to move on my wrist.

9. seamor0512 macrumors member

apple watch toy didn't sound as good ;D I'm JK before people jump me lol.

I went and finally tried them on and was shocked at how light the SS milanese was, and quite impressed. The sports looked great too, definitely more...sporty.

The wait continues :(

10. Stokkes thread starter macrumors member

The Link bracelet weighs 65g (for the 42mm), the Aluminium Sport watch weighs 30g, so the link bracelet is more than double the weight of the Sport watch.

But if you're taking into consideration the fact that you want to workout, you'll put a sport band on, you won't run / workout with a link bracelet. In that regard, the 20g difference (because you're using the same band) is irrelevant.

11. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Being the big scientific factual rundown that this is, you'll have taken into account the placement of the watch towards the end of the arm not connected to the body, I'm guessing? (the pendulum effect and all that good stuff) Y'know, seeing as how someone can claim to know how the watch "feels" for everyone and can make judgments on their behalf, calling them crazy?
    Just checking :D

FYI, I have the Sport but want to upgrade to the SS Watch partially because it feels a little heavier/more substantial on the wrist (there is a noticeable difference to me), so riddle me that one.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Coming from 29 years of wearing a Rolex submariner with link bracelet the 42mm SS with BCB is hardly noticeable on my wrist. Its so light!

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

After 10 minutes you don't even feel the watch on your wrist, the weight is irrelevant

and this is from someone with 6 watches of various weights, some close to double in weight then my lightest watch, you don't notice after a few minutes