Sport Watch Charging adapter

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tshank, Apr 24, 2015.

1. tshank macrumors member

Anyone who received their sport watch today.

Did you receive an all plastic charging puck?

I noticed the un-boxing online shows an all white puck for the sport, but the other versions get the one that is for sale on the apple site (Metal & Plastic).

I understand that the sport is cheaper, but why wasn't this mentioned anywhere?

I wonder if they have the exact same dimensions. If not this could prove to cause issues with using stands and other charger related accessories

Looks like it was already covered @ http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple...ger-not-metal-like-the-more-expensive-models/

Sorry if many of you already knew.

Attached Files:

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

It appears you are correct. Several of the unboxing videos I just saw show a white plastic charger for the sport version.

Thats pretty pathetic of Apple to do that. They should've disclosed that on there description page.

3. tshank thread starter macrumors member

I agree. The "Whats in the box" section for all watches are the same when it comes to the charger.

Im just worried that any stand i buy, or the nomad puck will be jenky with this cheaper plastic version.

4. zfoster13 macrumors member

zfoster13

The only part of the charger you will see is the same on all versions. The plastic part is on the back. Unless you look at the back of your charger, you won't notice a difference. This is one reason we got to save $200 on the Sport.

5. tshank thread starter macrumors member

Not worried about the finish really. Just the fit of that sport charger in any aftermarket items. Will the plastic version be too loose in the stands, will it not fit at all?

6. segrobja macrumors regular

The only difference is the backing on the charger. Everything else is the same as the metal one.

7. techedude macrumors regular

The sport charger is plastic because the back of your watch is plastic. You don't want a metal charger snapping on your plastic back. That will eventually crack it in the long run. I heard it on a PodCast this morning. Kinda makes sense.

8. tshank thread starter macrumors member

If thats the case, why doesnt apple seem to sell the plastic only version online?

Would be kind of silly to sell a product that is going to scratch the back of the watch. Especially for those that ordered an additional.

9. techedude macrumors regular

I have no clue. Your guess is as good as mine. I was just chiming in on what I heard earlier. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

10. tshank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info though. Glad people are replying!

Im still just concerned that the plastic version will have different dimensions that the more expensive version.

I dont want to preorder any stands or other things unless i know.

11. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Still works the same? Helps make my Sport watch more affordable? Then who cares if it is plastic, honestly? It's a cable. I'm not going to even see it 99% of the time.

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

That's not the reason.

The "metal" charger for the Watch SS is ALSO plastic on the part that touches your watch. It's only the sides and the back that is metal.

It's likely just that Apple really wants to differentiate between the cheaper "Sport" line and the more expensive "Watch" line.

13. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with a plastic charger. I see no issue with the folks that spent several hundred dollars more than me getting a nicer charger and box.

Related, I don't think there will be any issue with this working with docks but if there is, just buy a second charger for the dock and use the plastic one for travel/work.

14. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Honestly I think it's all about appearance. The sport is the cheaper (yes I know 349.99 isn't cheap, bare with me) version of these watches. Therefore in order to have a step up effect going to the SS edition they need to show that in the packaging as well. So what you see with the sport is a rubber band for the watch and a rubber like charging puck. SS and above you see nicer band selection and chromed out additions, not to mention the more professional looking box/packaging.

Either puck will charge your device and that is why they allowed you to pay another 29.99 or higher to get a replacement. Which being more geared toward fitness in the sport watch.. you'll probably need a new puck down the line at which point you'll shell out to get another. Overall this doesn't seem to be much of any kind of a big deal or any sort of deal at all.

15. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Except this is MacRumors where everything is a grave injustice and somebody needs to be fired.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not sure what I'm doing with it yet but I ordered an extra charger that will be here later today. Suppose it will have a metal ring? I really don't care if it does so long as it charges but that could be a good thing. I will put my plastic one in the car and keep the metal one in the house. (I guess)

17. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

HA! So true. :)

18. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Yes it will.
    [​IMG]