Sports fans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I've been using sportacular to track my teams. It's been getting the job done but not my favorite app.

Score Mobile was my app of choice on my droid. And now after teir new re-design it looks awesome. But it has ads.

Opinions from people who have used both.

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

3. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I just jumped on the ScoreMobile bandwagon. I'm loving it coming from Sportacular. Also, maybe i've just not noticed them but i've never seen an ad in the new scoremobile.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. GoIn2Shock macrumors newbie

This is what I use. Great for MLB and keeping up with the score during the season since it'll send alerts. I prefer the official NFL app for football.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

ditto for me, although I wish the current game scores took precedent more than they do.

7. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I use Sportacular, now that people are recommending these others I am curious what is better about them?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I typically use Sportacular and ScoreCenter both
    I don't particularly mind the ads cause I'm just checking scores quickly

10. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like the espn score center as well. The only thing I wish they had is the ability to customize tones for particular notifications. Ie a different tone for scoring play or end of a quarter, etc. I almost have a heart attack sometimes and rush to look when it's just quarter over or something.

11. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Live Score works brilliantly if its live football scores you're after.

(I mean real football, by the way, not that girly American version where they're all padded up in case they break a fingernail or something).

:p

13. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Being a huge sports fan I have used all the apps...Personally sportacular is the best app...it simply has to do with their notifications...There are two things I love on this app that I don't get on the others I have tried.

- I can set alerts for a team that is NOT my favorite (e.g. if there is a playoff race between my team and another I can set alerts to find out how that team did).

- I get updates for "close games." If I follow a baseball team I can get an alert if the game is within a run or two going into the ninth inning so I can turn on the tv and catch the ending.

14. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Amen brother, one of my fav apps. I agree with your second comment, the big thing now is the study of concussions, they are wearing helmets, the helmets are the cause of it. Never heard of too many studies for the "men" who play rugby with very little or no protection.

15. tsduke macrumors regular

I think you meant "futball" :p

16. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Oh, you mean the football where the players throw themselves on the ground wriggling in pain at the slightest brush with an opponent? and then they magically get cured as soon as the whistle is blown? Yeah, those are real men. :rolleyes:

17. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

If only you could buy a system adblocker in the app store for like $20

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really liked score mobile for android but I am sticking with sportacular. The ads take up a lot of screen space and it still has some bugs to be worked out.

19. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Sportacular Pro is the one I use most often. I have ESPN Scorecenter installed as well but just don't use it much.

20. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

ESPN ScoreCenter is the best one IMO and I'm a huge sports fan. Never lets me down. I wish I could get the WatchESPN app but unfortunately I don't have those cable providers listed. FML.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Rugby players get concussion too with no padding. There are also studies on brain injury from heading a football.

Anyway, soccer is basically non contact, so no need for protective equipment other than shin pads. Play acting is a big reason I lost interest in football though. Rugby has rules that mean there is less need for helmets. You can only tackle the player with the ball and you can only tackle below the shoulders. Spear tackles are illegal too, as is touching a player who is jumping in the air.
    Football (NFL) allows players to hit any other player within reason, they are allowed to hit nearly anywhere, the only thing you aren't allowed to do is lead with the head. The helmets are the reason players wear pads, do you really want to get hit in the chest by a 20 stone man, who can bench press 500lbs without any protection? It's gonna hurt even with padding. Michael Vick is testimony of the upper body injuries you can get even wearing pads.

When somebody says 'it's just rugby with pads' about nfl, 'it's just idiots rolling on the ground' about or 'it's just egg chasing' about rugby, they just show their narrow mindedness and lack of interest in sport.

22. morningsong macrumors member

morningsong

SportsTap...access to a lot of sports and it's quick and easy to check scores.
    Better than ESPN's app, IMHO.

23. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I am actually testing the push notifications right now. I am watching a game live, and when they score, I am going to see which app is the fastest to send out a push notification.

I like Sportacular's close game notification, but I have a gut feeling ESPN will send out push notifications faster...

To be honest, they all look the same, and while I am always watching espn, their app is a jumbled hot mess...yahoo sportacular is simple, but crashes alot. If the notifications from yahoo have sped up from the last time I checked a year ago, I might purchase the ad-less version.

24. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Currently use Sportacular Pro. I hate that ScoreMobile has a huge ad banner. Get rid of the ads and it would be a toss-up. Not sure which is quicker with updates though.

Not a fan of ESPN's UI at all. Trashed that long ago.

25. fins831, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

fins831 macrumors 6502a

Ok so after 1 qtr of score updates...I can say that Yahoo Sportacular is faster by maybe 10-15 seconds now. However, if someone scores, I am notified, then it get reversed and I am notified on Sportacular...so lots of notifications. ESPN waits until after the score is review before notification.

Also Sportacular gives a score update for every TD, and then a followup for the extra point, so 2 updates per TD....thats a little annoying. ESPN waits for the EP to be good or blocked, and actually each notification gives a little message as to who scored and by air or on the ground...Sportacular is just a score.

Decisions, decisions.

Update:
    After 1 hr, they both send out notifications evenly, Sportacular sends out more per reviews and overturned plays, and updates extra point. Scorecenter takes an extra second and gives a little text message with each push. I like the simplicity of Sportaculars App but their push's are a bit annoying. Scorecenters App is atrocious but their push's are better informed, and steady. No extra notifications per extra points, but Im sure there is one for 2 pts...