Sports Illustrated App Question

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by hokiepokie07, May 12, 2011.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I recently downloaded the Sports Illustrated application after they made it free for current magazine subscribers.

Does each issue I download take up space on my iPad? If so, how much does each one take up?

Also, a couple issues I can't install, it tells me, "Attention: An unknown error has occurred." Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

2. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know the answer to any of these questions?

Thanks.

3. GP_1 macrumors regular

Just downloaded the app & would like to know the same thing...

4. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I can't speak with 100% certainty on this, but an issue that I downloaded in another magazine app (NY Mag) is 72 MBs. My guess, given how long it takes to download an issue in SI (took me around 10 minutes), is that each issue probably weighs around 50 or 60 MBs. Again, can't be completely sure, but given the evidence in a similar app, that'd be my best guess.

I'm not sure about your second question, but SI's app has been pretty buggy since its latest update, so it may just be a problem with the app itself. Switching between tabs automatically logs me out, for example, which gets annoying.

Hope this helps.

5. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup - that helps.

Is there anyway to check how much memory each issue is using on my iPad?

If they take up a ton, I may just start deleting them after each week, except for the Swimsuit issue of course.

6. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I'm not sure there's a way to monitor the amount of space an issue takes up on the iPad itself. One thing you could do is keep track of the amount of "other" (as opposed to music, apps, etc.) space being used whenever you connect your iPad to your computer, as I'm guessing magazine issues fit into that category according to iTunes.

As far as deleting individual issues, the NY Mag app has an option in Settings to delete all content within the app, which makes it sound like each issue can take up space quickly (SI doesn't have this yet, unfortunately). Depending on how much memory you have, deleting issues regularly that you don't want is probably a good idea.