Sports Space Gray 42mm Screen Separation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by riffola, May 9, 2015.

?

Is the screen completely flush on your watch?

1. Yes, my Space Gray has the same issue

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No, my Space Gray is fine

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, my non-Space Gray has the same problem

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, my non-Space Gray is fine

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. riffola macrumors member

My original week 16 watch that I received a little over a week ago had the screen raised and not flushed along the top & right edges. So I called in to Apple. They did an express replacement because I have AppleCare+

My replacement came in and guess what? The screen is raised and not flush on the bottom edge this time. This one was Week 13.

My biggest concerns are:
    1) Water from rain or splashes while washing my hands, seeping into the gap and destroying the watch.
    2) Shoddy workmanship by the factory.

I got in touch with Apple and they're looking the matter.

Has anyone else experience the same issue? Is there an issue with the screens for the Sports Space Gray 42mm?

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

5) I don't have my watch yet.

And instead of posting a poll why don't you just contact Apple and get an exchange for your defective watch?

Does this poll help anyone in any way? I don't think so. It's mass production and sometimes you just have a couple of defective units being spit out.

3. riffola thread starter macrumors member

Maybe you didn't read it carefully, but I did mention that Apple is looking into the issue and will exchange it again. Which means I contacted them about the issue before posting here.

It is a mass market product but Apple is famous for talking about how they use cameras to align components to get the perfect fit. Two watches with the same issue back to back seems odd. Hence I felt it might be interesting to see if others have experienced something similar.

If you don't have your watch, then this thread is not for you. Hopefully when you get yours, you will not have a similar issue.

4. Eightyone macrumors regular

Pictures?

I'm curious to see what this looks like

5. riffola thread starter macrumors member

The screen is black and the watch is gray, so it's virtually impossible for me to get a good picture of it. I've tried, sorry. It's super easy to see if you shine a light on the edge. You can not miss the uneven screen if your watch has it.

6. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Then shine a light on it and take a picture.

7. Dumbinho macrumors member

Duh!

8. riffola thread starter macrumors member

Probably!

If I could get a convincing picture with a light shining on the issue, I would have posted it earlier.

So attached is the picture I took. Since I do not have a macro lens, it really does not show the details. as well as one sees in-person.

The gap where it looks like dust has gone in is the line where the screen meets the body. This only occurs on the top and right side of the watch. The left & bottom are completely flush with the body.

I am sure many will not be convinced that it is an issue. That's fine by me. The reason why do I not think it is part of the design is because on one watch it is on the top & right side, and the other it is primarily on the bottom edge. There is no consistency.

Click the picture below for higher resolution.

Attached Files: