Sports Ticker Complication

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pared3s, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Pared3s macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a sports complication that scrolls or changes scores automatically? Most sports apps like At Bat, the Score, Sports Alerts and ESPN just do one score/game and doesn’t change to other games until finished. Is this just a limitation to complications? I personally would pay more to get something like this. Seems crazy that nothing like this doesn’t exist.

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

I think it’s due to several limitations of complications. There is currently no way to have animations of any kind in a complication (unless that has changed with the new series 4 faces). So a scrolling complication would not be possible. As for the infrequent updates, that’s due to a limit Apple places on how many times a complication can update per day. I believe the current limit is something like 50 updates per day max in order to preserve battery life. So if a sports app were to frequently update scores or switch between multiple games on the complication, it would quickly burn through those 50 allowed updates and be stuck unable to update the complication for the rest of the day. I do agree something like that would be nice though!

3. Pared3s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I suspected something like that. Even with the 50 updates I wouldn’t mind seeing the games change on some of those apps.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Do you know if the limit on complication updates applies to Apple's complications?
    (I'm looking at you, weather)

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

I’m afraid I don’t. You might reach out to @MakerOfCARROT. He(?) is the developer of Carrot Weather and posts regularly on these forums. He would probably know.