Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Here are the obvious options: because of the budget, I need either an iBook G4 or a MacBook. MacBook Pros and PowerBooks are out of budget range.

Things to consider:

Battery life: at least 3.5 hours

Strength, physical: I will travel with this a lot and haul it up to pressboxes, out to baseball fields, etc.

Strength, digital: I just need to run an e-mail app, Web browser and Word. Maybe iTunes. No design software at all.

Networking: When I get back from a game with half my story written, I need to be able to plug into our network to either download my finished story or e-mail it to my editor

Current office details: they just switched from Windows NT and Lotus Notes for writers/editors and Mac OS 9 for designers to all Windows XP with our editing system integrated with Word.

So, will it be worth plunking down extra money for an Intel machine that I may run Windows XP on by next year and risk getting a "lemon" with a first-off-the-assembly-line purchase (much like my four-times-repaired iMac G5) or should I just get a cheap PowerPC machine?

Any help is appreciated, as the old paper-and-pen routine takes more time when you have to transcribe. I'd like to be able to write up my stats and most of the game before I even get to the office to finish it for deadline.

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think the current iBook would really suit you, but check with IT as to whether they'll let you use OSX. I really doubt they wouldn't as OSX and XP network really quite easily. :)

Rather than buy it now, I'd wait for the Intel machines to come out and then get a good deal on a G4 (PPC).

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Definitely no rush. The spring season is over and fall football isn't until August. Plenty of time to find the right deal. Thanks for the advice.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's okay. :)

The good thing is, even though the G4 will suffice, you can bide your time and opt for the Intel equivalent if you prefer the specs, once it has come out. :cool:

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
As madjew said, the ibook would be great for you. As you are not doing much on it, an older version could also be suited to you, especially if you max out the RAM.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, my battery's two years old (or maybe only one and a half, I forget) and still manages 4.5 hours. I've looked after it pretty well and haven't worked it very hard, which makes a difference in the long run.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
disconap said:
Well, except, um...

3.5 hours minimum? I've never owned an ibook that lasted more than two.

Mine's a year and a half old and I'm getting easily 4, sometimes 5, hours from my battery. That's running Mail, Safari and Messenger with Airport off and the brightness on full. I can get close to six if I turn the brightness down.

Everyone I know with PC laptops are amazed as mine just keeps chugging.

From what I've heard the 14" has even longer battery life - best of the lot is what I hear. Pity it's a bit on the frumpy side.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I have a 14", what you've heard is bull. 2-2.5 hours is the most my battery has ever done (of course, I have the RAM increase and tend to run things like Photoshop from time to time, but even with the monitor turned down and just using Mail and Safari, I usually need to plug back in after a couple hours of constant use). I'm a bit bitter on the batteries as mine currently won't hold a charge, and I think it's because of the whole "bad power adapters ruining batteries" issue, but since my model isn't in the recall list Mac won't replace it, even though the genius bar guy said "Yeah, I think it's your power supply". His advice was to buy a new one and a new battery. Which he can say, making what he makes AND getting the discount, but I don't have a spare $200.

Sorry, ranting. It's been a long weekend, thanks to the security update. I still love Apple more than anyone in the computer world, but right now it's sort of like loving a junky sister who keeps ****ing up her life then coming to you to borrow money and sleep on your couch.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
disconap said:
I have a 14", what you've heard is bull. 2-2.5 hours is the most my battery has ever done (of course, I have the RAM increase and tend to run things like Photoshop from time to time, but even with the monitor turned down and just using Mail and Safari, I usually need to plug back in after a couple hours of constant use). I'm a bit bitter on the batteries as mine currently won't hold a charge, and I think it's because of the whole "bad power adapters ruining batteries" issue, but since my model isn't in the recall list Mac won't replace it, even though the genius bar guy said "Yeah, I think it's your power supply". His advice was to buy a new one and a new battery. Which he can say, making what he makes AND getting the discount, but I don't have a spare $200.

Sorry, ranting. It's been a long weekend, thanks to the security update. I still love Apple more than anyone in the computer world, but right now it's sort of like loving a junky sister who keeps ****ing up her life then coming to you to borrow money and sleep on your couch.

So what I've heard is correct, it's just that you unfortunately have a dud machine.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Smallville said:
Here are the obvious options: because of the budget, I need either an iBook G4 or a MacBook. MacBook Pros and PowerBooks are out of budget range.

Things to consider:

Battery life: at least 3.5 hours

Strength, physical: I will travel with this a lot and haul it up to pressboxes, out to baseball fields, etc.

Strength, digital: I just need to run an e-mail app, Web browser and Word. Maybe iTunes. No design software at all.

Networking: When I get back from a game with half my story written, I need to be able to plug into our network to either download my finished story or e-mail it to my editor

Current office details: they just switched from Windows NT and Lotus Notes for writers/editors and Mac OS 9 for designers to all Windows XP with our editing system integrated with Word.

So, will it be worth plunking down extra money for an Intel machine that I may run Windows XP on by next year and risk getting a "lemon" with a first-off-the-assembly-line purchase (much like my four-times-repaired iMac G5) or should I just get a cheap PowerPC machine?

Any help is appreciated, as the old paper-and-pen routine takes more time when you have to transcribe. I'd like to be able to write up my stats and most of the game before I even get to the office to finish it for deadline.

Thanks.

I used my iBook for exactly the same task - although I woul dwait for the MacBook if you can. My only regret about buying a PowerBook is that I am afraind I will dent, scratch or otherwise harm it in the field. My iBook took everything I dished out of it - backs of small planes, insides of helicopters you name it.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
disconap said:
Well, except, um...

3.5 hours minimum? I've never owned an ibook that lasted more than two.

What! I generally get 4-5 hours under normal conditions on my 12" 1.33 iBook.:D

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
That sounds like the sweetest job ever. Takin' the mac to a baseball field and writing about what you see...

I envy you more than anyone in the world.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I'd wait for the new iBooks prices to really discount and then buy. Don't buy an older iBook version. You need the motion sensor and the scrolling trackpad is nice too. They are GREAT machines. If you know someone in academia, you can score a new 1.33 12" ibook right now for 700 to 850 range.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
ero87 said:
That sounds like the sweetest job ever. Takin' the mac to a baseball field and writing about what you see...

It's not as glamorous as you make it out to be. I did it for a while, but now cover city government (even less glamorous).

Back to the subject at hand though, I found there to be an outlet at many of press boxes I went to, but if not, the iBook got me through baseball/softball games with ease. It is the way to go . .

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
disconap said:
I have a 14", what you've heard is bull. 2-2.5 hours is the most my battery has ever done

It isn't bull. On my 12" 1.33 GHz iBook, I get ALMOST 4 hours watching DVDs (its pretty frustrating, because that's usually JUST short of two movies), and using the DVD drive uses quite a bit of juice. If I'm not really using wireless/BT/DVDs, I get over 5 hours.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
ero87 said:

Aside from the small paychecks and the fact that my work is out there for thousands of people to criticize/second guess (especially the crazy sports parents who live vicariously through their children), it's not bad. The best part is getting out of the office and not being tied to the desk.

I think I'm leaning toward a new iBook, hopefully discounted after the MacBooks come out.

I just can't see buying a brand-new, first-off-the-line machine like I did my iMac G5. I had three logic boards replaced and a bad power supply. And we all know how Apple loves to replace faulty machines. :rolleyes:

Also, many high school pressboxes still just have dial-up lines. High-speed does not exist, so I'm worried that the new MacBooks will drop the modem like the MBPs.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Smallville said:
Hmm ... I dunno ... those MacBooks look awfully tempting ...

If you are interested, go to your Apple store and try one out. Sleep on it, and if you still want it in the morning, buy it. It is a lot of money to waste if you don't like it.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Well, either I'll have to get a cheap, older version and hope it won't be completely obsolete in about three or four years ... or I can just bite the bullet and get a brand new one and sell the iMac G5 because I can't afford a MacBook.

(And quite frankly, the wife is never going to go for another $1500 computer.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.