'spot' clips in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Poeben, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Poeben macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me a way to spot a clip in FCP. In other words, type in a timecode value and have the clip move to that location. I know about the move thing in the timeline, but I can't figure out how to move to a specific location.

Thanks

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

In the upper-right corner of either your viewer, there is a little text box that displays the timecode the playhead is currently at. You can type in a timecode there, is that what you mean?

3. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

And you don't need to type in the full timecode if it's not significant. e.g. 5:20;4 is as good as 00:05:20;04

4. Poeben thread starter macrumors 6502

I know you can move the playhead to a location by typing in the appropriate box. What I was looking for was a way to select a clip in the timeline (or browser) and type a timecode and have the clip move to that location. This is how it is done in ProTools with audio regions and it would be great to have similar functionality in Final Cut as I am constantly putting clips at intervals of 1:00 and 0:30 (a grid might be helpful too.) It seems in Final Cut the playhead doesn't always show up in the timeline when typing timecode in (maybe thats a pref that I overlooked?)

5. -DH macrumors 65816

To move the Timeline playhead, enter the TC value in the Canvas window - not the Viewer.

If your clip is in the Viewer, move the Timeline playhead where you want it by the method above. Hit F10 to do an Overwrite Edit or F9 for an Insert Edit.

If the clip is already in the Timeline and you just want to move it, highlight the clip and enter the amount you want it to move. For example, the clip currently sits at 0:14:30:00 and you want to move it to 0:15:00:00. Highlight the clip and then type 3000 (for 30 seconds and 00 frames). If there are no other clips in its way, it will move to where you want it. If you need to move it the other direction, enter a - before the numbers (ie: -3000)

-DH