Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify and Hulu today announced an expansion of their previous students-only initiative that bundled both services together for the low monthly cost of $4.99. Now all Spotify and Hulu subscribers in the United States will get a chance to lock into the same bundle through a single $12.99/month subscription price.

This bundle includes the ad-free Spotify Premium tier of the music streaming service (normally $9.99/month) and the Hulu With Limited Commercials plan (normally $7.99/month). The $12.99 bundle amounts to savings of $5 per month, and the companies noted that existing Spotify Premium subscribers will have early access to the offer.

spotify-hulu-bundle.jpg
"Based on the outstanding performance of the Spotify and Hulu student package, it's clear that consumers love to combine their music and television experiences together," said Tim Connolly, SVP, Head of Distribution and Partnerships at Hulu. "Hulu and Spotify are brands that are defining how fans connect with entertainment in the future, and we are excited to expand our partnership to bring this combined package to all existing and new Spotify Premium subscribers."
Additionally, eligible Spotify Premium subscribers will be able to upgrade their existing plan to the new combo plan through an introductory offer that grants a three-month Hulu subscription for just $0.99, on top of their Spotify subscription. Afterwards, the $12.99/month price of the bundle will go into effect.

Here's a full breakdown of the initial pricing structure:
You'll pay one bill to Spotify for both services. Your first month is the price of your Premium plan plus the Hulu 3-month trial price. After your trial, you'll then start paying $12.99/month for both. Here's what it looks like:

1st month: $9.99 + $0.99 + tax
2nd month: $9.99 + tax
3rd month: $9.99 + tax
Following months: $12.99 + tax
The companies said that they anticipate opening up the new bundle to anyone without a Spotify Premium account later this summer. Head over to Spotify's FAQ page for more info on the plan, which also states that it will not be possible to upgrade to the Hulu With No Commercials or Live TV plans, "nor to any Hulu Premium Add-ons."

Article Link: Spotify and Hulu Announce Combined Subscription Bundle for All Users at $12.99/Month

NexusUser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2016
I pay for Hulu without commercials, it's definitely worth the extra $5/month. I spent some time with relatives who have the cheaper bundle and half the time when the stream was interrupted by a commercial the app crashed.

Anyway, extremely disappointed a similar deal isn't available for the Hulu without commercials tier.

cgrymala

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
As a Netflix-only subscriber, I forgot that paid Hulu tiers have commercials. A good deal nonetheless but I really hate watching ads.

It's worth noting that, yes, the entry-level subscription for Hulu has commercials, but the second tier does not (except in extremely limited cases where they play an ad before the episode and after the episode). The no-commercials plan is normally $11.99/month, so, not much different than Netflix's second tier. Unfortunately, though, that's apparently limited to 1 screen at a time, which kind of sucks.

Reactions: Saipher

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I pay for Hulu without commercials, it's definitely worth the extra $5/month. I spent some time with relatives who have the cheaper bundle and half the time when the stream was interrupted by a commercial the app crashed.

Anyway, extremely disappointed a similar deal isn't available for the Hulu without commercials tier.

Agreed. My wife wanted to get paid Spotify. We already have Hulu without commercials. I was about upgrade when I saw the headline. Oh well. Maybe next time.

cgrymala

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
I'm curious what kinds of tiers/levels this combined subscription will offer. I'm currently subscribed to a Spotify Family plan and the no-commercials Hulu plan, so, who knows whether those options will even be available as a combined subscription, or, if they are, whether they'll actually be any cheaper.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Lower prices are always good news for consumers. I get Netflix for free with my T-Mobile cell phone plan. I wish all companies were like T-Mobile and actually tried to lower prices for consumers.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Not for me, but it does make Spotify more appealing. Hulu on the other hand, I don't like at all.

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I’m torn on Hulu. Given the instability of their base tier streaming and reluctance to fix it, I can’t possibly offer up more money each month just to remove commercials. I consistently experience stuttering in the last 3rd of the TV show. Hulu says I should decrease the streaming quality (fine, tried that for all the different options but didn’t help). I’m running LG WebOS 4.7 I think.

Those of you that do pay more, do you feel there’s a difference in stability?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Now that Spotify is public, they have a responsibility to their shareholders to try to turn a profit and return on investment. While this move could help them grow the number of subscribers, it's not going to help with profits because their already low margins are cut into even further by having to share the revenue with Hulu. Seems a poor move.

torque2k

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2004
GR, MI, USA
I'm curious what kinds of tiers/levels this combined subscription will offer. I'm currently subscribed to a Spotify Family plan and the no-commercials Hulu plan, so, who knows whether those options will even be available as a combined subscription, or, if they are, whether they'll actually be any cheaper.
I'm on the Spotify Family plan, as well. I just went to the site to see if I could apply, and Spotify took me to my profile page and a red error box said "this plan isn't available for Family plan subscribers". Maybe they'll change that soon; I'll definitely be sending in an email asking why this isn't an option.

Reactions: whichweather

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Hmm... Doing some non-scientific Googling, it looks like Hulu members have been chattering online over the past few months about the increase of commercial time length in the "limited commercials" plan. I've been eyeing Hulu for a bit, but maybe I'll just pay for the "no commercials" plan rather than doing this.

Reactions: tonyr6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.