Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify has announced its first live music event in the U.K., just days after Apple axed its own annual London music festival (via The Verge).

Called "Who We Be", the event is scheduled to take place at London's Alexandra Palace on November 30 and will have a rap and grime theme, with a line-up featuring the likes of Dizzee Rascal, Bugzy Malone, Cardi B, Giggs, J Has, and Stefflon Don.

Screen-Shot-4-800x445.jpg

The festival gets its name from Spotify's curated Who We Be playlist, which has a 140,000-strong following. Subscribers to the playlist can take advantage of a pre-sale ticker offer that starts on Saturday 9, while general ticket sales begin on Monday 11. Tickets can be ordered from Spotify's event website.

Apple's Music Festival had a decade-long run before it was confirmed that the company had decided to bring the tradition to an end. The free annual concert's performances had been broadcast live and on-demand through Apple Music since 2015. Apple provided no reason for ending the annual festival nor any indication that it will return anytime soon.

Article Link: Spotify Announces First Live Music Event in the U.K.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What kind of ROI is this going to have?

The amount I'm interested in investing in Spotify just went down... physical events that don't even tour seem like a waste of money when you're as well known as Spotify.

Unless most people who listen to rap don't know Spotify? But I'd think people who go to physical events skews young, and young people tend to know about big internet companies like Spotify.

Reactions: paul4339

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
What kind of ROI is this going to have?

The amount I'm interested in investing in Spotify just went down... physical events that don't even tour seem like a waste of money when you're as well known as Spotify.

Unless most people who listen to rap don't know Spotify? But I'd think people who go to physical events skews young, and young people tend to know about big internet companies like Spotify.
Unlike the recently cancelled Apple Music festival, the tickets aren't free and cost £35 (plus all the ridiculous add-ons).

AdmiralTriggerH

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Who, who and who?
I've never heard of any of those artists, at least the iTunes festival had some really big names and was free. This sounds like crap

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Unlike the recently cancelled Apple Music festival, the tickets aren't free and cost £35 (plus all the ridiculous add-ons).

Ah. That's good. So they're probably charging enough to cover their costs. Worst case it's a wash. Best case maybe it will grow their membership count.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I know I am officially old now because I have only heard of Dizzee Rascal. :oops:

Obviously the event isn't aimed at middle aged men like me where music stopped in the early 90s :oops:

/damn

Reactions: Marshall73

gccumber

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
"Who We Be"... Really Spotify? We're going to pander to the lowest common denominator. At least they know what alphabetical order is?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I know I am officially old now because I have only heard of Dizzee Rascal. :oops:

Obviously the event isn't aimed at middle aged men like me where music stopped in the early 90s :oops:

/damn
I am actually ashamed when I buy an SACD and I've never heard of the composer before.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

/damn
I'm in my 20's and have never heard of one of them. No interest in rap though.

60's, 70's, and 80's all day long!

Reactions: Spendlove

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I haven't heard of a single one of these people... I wonder if they've been planning this for a while or just threw it together quickly. To Apple's credit they did always get A list performers.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Looks like they're all UK based performers so it should be worth it if you're into their music. Kinda cool local talent at a local festival

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
A lot of them are Grime artists. I don't think this genre has really crossed over to US so not surprising many have not heard of them.

But it will easily sell out in London.

nick42983

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
California
It should be "Who We Are", this ghetto grammar is grating. It does no one any good to deliberately speak or write like an imbecile who doesn't know the English language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.