Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

spotify-app-icon-200x200.jpg
Spotify appears to be exploring the possibility of adding music videos to the streaming service's "Now Playing" app interface.

Serial app de-coder Jane Wong discovered and enabled the feature, which currently consists of a tabbed interface for the Now Playing screen that offers different options for showing content while listening to tracks.

The new tabs include standard album art, the new video player, and "Canvas," which is the Spotify feature that shows a looping video clip or animation in place of album art.

Spotify has included video content before, but not on the scale that's presumably being considered here – showing full music videos, similar to how YouTube Music does.

As the graphic above mentions, Spotify is "still exploring" what to do with this new video section, but it's hard to think of what other use there could be for it.

Article Link: Spotify App Could Include Music Video Player in Future Version

m113t

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
New Zealand
You’re fully right!
They seem to have strange ideas on their users needs - or don’t give a damn
I think Spotify just simply don't care about WatchOS as a platform. But they need to care, because this is where Pandora and others are at.

Tymmz

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I am thinking of getting an Apple Watch. If Spotify hasn’t sorted out there app by then, I will have to switch services.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I am thinking of getting an Apple Watch. If Spotify hasn’t sorted out there app by then, I will have to switch services.
Love to know how many have switched due to this. So many apps now have 'offline' playback it's mad Spotify have left this behind

totom_

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Same, I'll likely get the new Watch in September/October. If, by then, they still have no offline capabilities (they will have had over one year to implement them) I will switch to Apple Music.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I find "canvas" feature annoying and have disabled it. I don't want distracting stories-like feature inside my music player, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: nburwell

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I find "canvast" feature annoying and have disabled it. I don't want distracting stories-like feature inside my music player, thanks.

Likewise here. I have never liked it myself, hence why I have disabled the feature -- I just want to see the album art when playing a song, I don't need a video playing in the background.

I wonder if Spotify is doing this since Apple Music have music videos within their app.

Apple2GS

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Haha keep doing your research my friend. It brings so much to the discussion

Your suggestion is like telling Tesla to stop working on the CyberTruck until they sorted out the wind noise in the Model 3. I would suggest you never start a business or at least take a few business courses first.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Your suggestion is like telling Tesla to stop working on the CyberTruck until they sorted out the wind noise in the Model 3. I would suggest you never start a business or at least take a few business courses first.
Not at all. A company the size of Spotify could easily dedicate a team to working on the Watch app. You're suggesting the entire company is working on this video project.

Much like Tesla can build one model of a car and still design a new one at the same time.

And FYI I already have a business... one that makes Watch apps and trucks :)

ChromeAce

macrumors demi-god
Jun 11, 2009
Joe Rogan has already announced his podcast deal with them will include video.

tomtad

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2015
Ironic that Spotify becomes iTunes just as iTunes is broken up. Maybe Apple did have it right all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.