Spotify app making the phone hot and draining battery

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wonhyuns, Oct 24, 2014.

1. wonhyuns macrumors newbie

I am not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, but after getting the ios update to 8.1 and also getting the new iphone 6, the battery drain - especially using spotify with bluetooth earphone has been quite noticeable. But, the most concerning fact has been that the phone gets really hot.

Has anyone faced similar issue?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I listen to the spotify app at the gym with my bluetooth JayBird bluebuds X. I usually go about an hour non-stop with the app and my iPhone 6 doesn't get hot. This was on 8.0, 8.0.1 and 8.1. my battery doesn't drain out of the normal range I would expect it to either.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It happened to me even on 8.0.2. My 5s was very, very hot; so much so that I've never felt it that hot before. It was even plugged into my car, charging and the battery was draining faster than it could charge. Since that day, I've not really used Spotify.

4. Damolee macrumors 6502

If it was streaming, then I expect it to get hot.

Try setting to offline mode.

5. wonhyuns thread starter macrumors newbie

I was on an offline mode, during subway ride.

Very strange - I will try using the app again in the afternoon for a long period of time and see if the issue arises again.

6. Dizle macrumors 6502

I stream Spotify for hours at work via wifi and sometimes LTE, doesn't get hot or anything weird. On wifi I can get 3 hours of streaming and it only uses about 8% battery, at least coming from a full charge.

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

That doesn't sound like something the Spotify app caused. Besides, recharging your phone will always make it hot. I would simply restart the the phone or make a hard reset.