Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few months, users on Reddit have been voicing excitement for a new app being developed and beta tested that would finally bring Spotify onto the Apple Watch. Called "Spotty," and then "Snowy" when Spotify cited copyright concerns with the first name, the new app faced troubles with Spotify's legal team who also referenced UI similarities to the company's first party iOS app.

Because of this, news surrounding Snowy had slowed in recent weeks, but this week developer Andrew Chang gave users a big update: Snowy will live on thanks to an official partnership with Spotify itself. This means that Spotify will work with Chang to develop and add Apple Watch functionality and playlist pairing into the streaming music service's main iOS app.

apple-watch-spotify-snowy.jpg
Hi all, thanks for your patience and understanding. I'm thrilled to announce that I'll be working closely with Spotify to bring Snowy to the Apple Watch as part of an official Spotify iOS app. Spotify's powerful iOS SDK made it possible to develop Snowy, but I can't wait to take things to the next level with the expertise and tools available at Spotify. While I can't give any estimates as to when it'll be available, you can rest assured that a Spotify Apple Watch companion app is in the pipeline.
Although a launch date is still unclear, when it debuts the new Spotify Apple Watch companion app will finally give Spotify listeners a comparable experience on Apple Watch as Apple Music subscribers have had over the past few years.

Chang didn't confirm that every feature will make it into the final version of the app, but Snowy's website currently lists features like offline playback so users can leave their iPhone behind and still listen to Spotify through the Apple Watch, multiple real-time complications support, Siri controls, and even hands-free gestures that enable music controls through "a flick of the wrist."

In March, Spotify announced that it had hit 50 million paid subscribers, growing steadily from the 40 million it had in September 2016. As its rival, Apple Music has shown impressive growth since its launch in 2015, boasting 20 million paid subscribers in December 2016 and beating Spotify in the realm of monthly unique users thanks to Apple Music's lengthy three-month free trial given to every new subscriber.

Article Link: Spotify Coming To Apple Watch Thanks to Partnership With Third-Party App 'Snowy'

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
The cynic in me says that Snowy will be rejected for "duplicating functionality". The optimist hopes things go well. Choice for users is rarely ever a bad thing.
It'll probably be a Watch app extension of the official Spotify app.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I wonder if the offline mode will make the watch count as one of the three devices you can download music to. I hope they just consider the watch to be an extension of the phone.

Reactions: Sandstorm

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Ummmm...stupid question here....why doesn't Spotify make their own watch app?

By entering this partnership I would say they actually is developing their own app.

This is awesome - obviously going to delay it a bit but making it official is awesome! Would be able to make it look exactly like the Spotify app and have all the great functionality

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Remember when Facebook wasn't initially available on iPad, and they realized that tons of clones had free reign to do whatever they want?

I think Spotify is slowly realizing they need to gain traction on the Watch front as well.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This seems totally unnecessary. It's hard to believe Spotify can't just build out an Apple Watch extension in their existing iOS app. Their in-house developers can't be that incompetent.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This seems totally unnecessary. It's hard to believe Spotify can't just build out an Apple Watch extension in their existing iOS app. Their in-house developers can't be that incompetent.

That's probably what they're doing lol. Wait and see.

sMiK

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Ah this can't come soon enough. Being able to do this is basically going to allow me to work out and leave the iPhone behind completely

Reactions: xDKP

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis

Although a launch date is still unclear, when it debuts the new Spotify Apple Watch companion app will finally give Spotify listeners a comparable experience on Apple Watch as Apple Music subscribers have had over the past few years.
I didn't see Siri mentioned in the article, which is the killer Apple Music feature on the watch, so I don't think it can be seriously called a "comparable experience". I am sure it is better than not having a watch app, though.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
<taps Apple watch in a gesture indicating it's been a while since this news and there's still no watch app>

You know that tactic where companies buy competing tech specifically to shelve them?

Reactions: xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
<taps Apple watch in a gesture indicating it's been a while since this news and there's still no watch app>

You know that tactic where companies buy competing tech specifically to shelve them?

Damn'it your post just gave me hope! What the hell is going on with this app? Feels like we have been waiting forever for it, and it looked fairly polished in the last video demo - come on man!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Damn'it your post just gave me hope! What the hell is going on with this app? Feels like we have been waiting forever for it, and it looked fairly polished in the last video demo - come on man!

Well that's what I'm saying. Snowy was very close to release before Spotify lured the dev and his code away with a fat check. Likely just so that they could shelve this project and to never actually release the Watch app. I moved to Apple Music a while back and it serves its purpose but I do miss Spotify. Luckily I can use the Houdini app to move any good playlists I find (or add songs from my Daily Playlists). Apple Music has gotten better though. And the 2 custom playlists have gotten much better at their recommendations. Still, I'd move back to Spotify Premium in a heartbeat if they released this Watch app.

Nufsed

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
My theory is that Spotify are developing their own sports fitness watch. I run and use Spotify and I hear rumours of functions like matching your pace with the tempo of songs etc.
They would make far more money creating their own watch in my opinion.
They've had plenty of time to release this but haven't

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
My theory is that Spotify are developing their own sports fitness watch. I run and use Spotify and I hear rumours of functions like matching your pace with the tempo of songs etc.
They would make far more money creating their own watch in my opinion.
They've had plenty of time to release this but haven't

Pretty far from their core business I would say. And to make a watch it would need to be great at not only playing music at your pace, but a hell of a lot of other things as well (Fitness, GPS, design, smart watch features etc.)

I think they would gain a lot of positive attention by releasing an awesome app for the watch. Simple yet powerful would be the key and make us happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.