Spotify discontinued for PPC :(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adcx64, Nov 24, 2011.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Spotify was discontinued for PPC today, this sucks because I was just starting to love it on my MDD. Went to install on the iBook and was told I needed an Intel processor. Damn. :mad:

2. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Same! I love spotify on my eMac, but fair play to them still supporting PowerPC 5 years after it was dis-continued... But I think I'll be fine with the current version for a while :eek:

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Just keep using the final version to have PowerPC code. You may not get new updates but it's better than nothing. This is all part of being a PowerPC user. We need to either use older versions of certain apps or find a new one.

There are at least a few other apps like that.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

At least Spotify is available for older os--I am still using Leopard. I use MOG too and yes, they have a desktop app--only available through the app store. :mad:

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I really wished Apple released the Mac App Store for Leopard, Us PowerPC users would get a lot more support that way...

But in another way, I like older versions of everything! You can go back in time and decide what version you will find most beneficial to you :p

6. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

The problem is, I cannot find the final PowerPC version anywhere.. The only one I can find is a version that does not support Facebook signin. I don't wanna lose my premium membership by creating a new account...

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html

This is the version I use... :D

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

What happened to the copy you already had that worked? Give me the version you need and I will find it. If I'm good at one thing it's finding hard to find things online.

9. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

That's the one without FB integration. :)

I will try to get this info as soon as I can. Can't get on the MDD due to thanksgiving.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Oh yeah! It's thanksgiving across the pond today... Happy Thanksgiving!

And when you get the version bung it on here, I'll have a look for a download as well :p

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've got 0.6.1.287.g64b130c8. September 22, 2011.

Don't know if that's the latest version that will work on Leopard, but it's working on mine and I'm connected to FB with it. Anyone wants it, they can find it here.

12. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Thanks!

Thats it! Worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!

and Zen, I appreciate you trying to help!

13. JuDGe3690, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

JuDGe3690 macrumors newbie

Spotify discontinued for PPC :(

Hello,

I'm in a similar situation as one of the other posters: I have a 1 GHz "Northern Lights" eMac with 1 GB RAM that still works well, and I love using Spotify.

In case Spotify tries to auto-upgrade—which I've had happen, corrupting some of the application files—I would keep a copy of the Spotify DMG or app in a separate folder (I keep it in a folder in my Users folder), so that you can reinstall your version without problems.

Hope this helps!

I love my eMac, but sadly it's getting a tad harder to find programs that run on it. Thankfully, though, it was upgraded to 10.5.8 Leopard, so there is a little more compatibility, although no Classic mode support (No more MYST gaming for the time being!).

14. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

If you have a Premium account, there are third-party Spotify clients you can get.

I use a command line only client called Despotify. Works well on a 300MHz machine with 128MB RAM.

http://asdasd.net/wp/?p=42

15. pablokenfold macrumors newbie

Thank you sir!

[edit: To clarify, I downloaded this one, and the app updated itself to 0.6.6.10.gbd39032a]

16. dannyp1996 macrumors member

Just thought I'd add to this very old thread that recently Spotify launched a web player which means that you can listen from any device with a web browser.

17. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Great news! I wonder what the difference between the old PPC version and the web based one is.

18. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Flash.

19. MrPilot macrumors 6502

ah.. I meant in functionality. I'll boot my mbp and check :p

20. dannyp1996 macrumors member

Functionally, I suspect the web player is ahead on that one. Don't quote me on it though! :)

However there seems to be an update for the current versions of the Spotify player every time I start it up, so I suppose they must be adding something to it.

21. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Works perfect with the web player in the background :) I'm using webkit for leopard 537. (remember to right-click and select load all flash plugins if you are using clicktoflash)

22. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The app is better though.

23. MrPilot macrumors 6502

True, but it has some benefits for finding similar artists etc. Also, it's great as a fallback if spotify PPC would stop connecting to the network (like skype video calls) However I will continue using the app for the time being.

24. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You should try out the "Scrobble to Last.fm" option in the preferences - it will look at the songs and artists you listen to and provide suggestions.

25. philgxxd macrumors member

philgxxd

What happened to Spotify ? It doesn´t seem to work anymore. I get an -112 error message and i think i´m forced to get disconnected. Could be the ****** Wifi connection at work...
    I have a premium acount and installed the spotify app on all my ppc laptops.
    Did they finally disabled Spotify for us PPC mac users in 2017 ?