Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify has announced the launch of "Daily Mix," a new intelligent playlist system -- in the vein of Discover Weekly and Release Radar -- that puts together a "near endless" collection of songs for users every day (via The Verge). The songs include a mix of music and artists they have listened to previously, as well as new music based off their interests.

When Daily Mix is updated each day, Spotify will introduce "between one and six mixes" to each user, mostly depending on how broad their music tastes are. Each mix avoids specific labels and instead opts for visual album clues as to what's inside of each, with four album covers providing context of the songs within each playlist. Matt Ogle, leader of music discovery and personalization at Spotify, said "we found that the mixes were much better received when we leaned back and let people describe them themselves."

spotify-daily-mix-800x535.jpg
Image via The Verge

It uses the same basic approach as Discover Weekly, selecting songs based on your listening habits. "But that's where the similarities end," said Matt Ogle, who helps lead development of music discovery and personalization at Spotify. "In a lot of ways it's the opposite of Discover Weekly." Instead of trying to take the work out of finding music that's new to you, "Daily Mix is trying to take the work out of hitting a button and always hearing music that you love."
Instead of the refresh that Discover Weekly and Release Radar get each Monday and Friday, respectively, users might notice that Daily Mixes are much more subtly altered. Songs within playlists might be added or removed, specific mixes could get swapped out for new collections, "but it won't be a complete refresh of songs each time." Ogle compared Daily Mixes to radio stations, because of the way each mix sticks to specific themes and moods instead of throwing a bunch of random genres together.

In mid-September, Spotify announced that it has reached over 40 million paid subscribers, in contrast to Apple Music's more than 17 million paid subscribers confirmed earlier in the month. Apple continues to bolster various aspects of its streaming music service, most recently introducing "My New Music Mix" and "My Favorites Mix" into Apple Music as the company's answer to Spotify's weekly curated music recommendations.

Users worldwide on the Spotify iOS [Direct Link] and Android apps should start seeing Daily Mix playlists today, whether they have a paid subscription or not. The company noted that new users will gain access to Daily Mix "after approximately two weeks of listening," and a rollout to additional platforms is coming soon.

Article Link: Spotify Launches Infinite 'Daily Mix' Playlists Showcasing New and Old Music

Reactions: jacjustjac

hamoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
I have been using it on my ipad for two months now. although I haven't seen it on my Mac yet.
it's very cool, 6 playlists, each of them are different theme but they all match my taste.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Discover Weekly appears under the Browse heading, so I'm guessing Daily Mix will appear there too. No sign of it yet on my iPad.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Isn't this essentially just Genius playlists? Which have been around for over a decade? I don't see the big deal.

Still waiting on Release Radar to show up.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
In the iOS app, Browse > Discover > New Releases For You.

Yeah, it's not there. There isn't even a "New Releases For You" section. I believe the feature doesn't enter a wide release until Friday, so it's mostly just me being impatient. Still, I've largely been using Apple Music lately, and these Spotify algorithms seem to only pull from the last few weeks of data. For instance, my Discover Weekly playlist has not updated in over a month.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I frequently enjoy the Discover Weekly list, so this sounds interesting. Discover Weekly can be really hit or miss for me, though.

Funny anecdote on those playlists.... We have a Sonos speaker in our master bedroom, and my wife likes to listen to thunder/rain storm stuff while we sleep. I made the mistake of playing it from Spotify for a couple weeks (didn't know it was a mistake at the time). 100+ hours of playing soft thunderstorms over a couple weeks turned my Discover Weekly playlist into a nightmarish mix of Enya and soft piano ballads that made me want to jump off a bridge. So I downloaded some good ones and dropped them into iTunes and play them from there on the Sonos speaker now. No more playlist problems.

Reactions: navaira and joshen

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Isn't this essentially just Genius playlists? Which have been around for over a decade? I don't see the big deal.
No matter what you call it, Spotify's personalized playlists just work so much better then previous systems for me. Discover Weekly is just fantastic. Rarely a dud and lots of great songs I didn't know before. I have a playlist where I save the best songs from Discover Weekly and it literally contains hundreds now. If these new mixes are only half as good ...

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
No matter what you call it, Spotify's personalized playlists just work so much better then previous systems for me. Discover Weekly is just fantastic. Rarely a dud and lots of great songs I didn't know before. I have a playlist where I save the best songs from Discover Weekly and it literally contains hundreds now. If these new mixes are only half as good ...

I'm very familiar with Discover Weekly, and think it's a great feature. My only problem with it is it tends to stick to only one or two genres, and also will show me lots of music I've listened to before and for whatever reason decided to pass on. Apple's My New Music Mix (basically a combo of Discover Weekly and Release Radar) specifically excludes songs you've played before from its algorithm, so it's truly showing you new music every week. I have been amazed in the last 3 weeks since it launched. I find myself saving the entire playlist, rather than just a few songs. Also, for an algorithmically generated playlist, it flows incredibly well, as though it was hand-curated.

I'm all for competition in streaming, and hope that Spotify continues to introduce truly compelling new features. I just don't see the fuss with these new playlists which seem awfully similar to Genius Playlists, a feature iTunes introduced in 2008.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm all for competition in streaming, and hope that Spotify continues to introduce truly compelling new features. I just don't see the fuss with these new playlists which seem awfully similar to Genius Playlists, a feature iTunes introduced in 2008.

Genius was tied to the iTunes Store and Apple did not bother to use it for Apple Music. It is only in iOS 10 that they added something like this. Personally, am I completely unhappy with the suggestions that Apple Music gives to me. They are so ridiculously bad and wrong. Daily recommended playlists sounds much more appealing to me and I heard just good things about Spotify’s playlists anyway.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Love Spotify.

The Discovery Playlists are the best in the industry.

Definitely, Apple Music one is terrible by comparison and yet Apple Music has not just my FULL music collection also loves an dislikes to work from. Spotify just has a random selection of playlists have created and yet every week it pulls up a perfect discovery list where every track is to my very specific tastes.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm very familiar with Discover Weekly, and think it's a great feature. My only problem with it is it tends to stick to only one or two genres, and also will show me lots of music I've listened to before and for whatever reason decided to pass on.
Weird. I don't think it has given me a single song yet that I had listened to before on Spotify, and it's quite varied. I guess it depends on how you use Spotify (i.e. how much material you give it that it can "learn" from).
I tried Genius playlists back then and found them to be extremely limited. Of course, it was not really comparable because the user didn't have access to a subscription catalog for the algorithm to use, and it didn't make extensive use of crowdsourcing like Spotify does.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Kinda hard to believe but when they mention "endless" I immediately realise I cannot live forever. XD
Could I say this is human curated "genius" playlist?

mephiska

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Found the daily mixes in the iOS app. You have to go to "Library" and it's at the very top, "Your Daily Mix". There's six different mixes aligned to different genres that you listen to. Pretty good so far!

Reactions: navaira
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.