Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I am inclined to subscribe to a streaming audio. I am testing both Spotify and Rdio and both are great. While I found that Rdio interface may be slightly better, Spotify is the only one to have Led Zeppelin and all Metallica albums and content is more important. One third option could be Deezer. These are basically the three options for me, as I live in Brazil and other services such as Beats are not yet available here, so they are simply out of question, no matter how good they are.

So, I would like to know which of these services have better content. A while ago, Spotify and Rdio had each some exclusive artists (http://www.wired.com/2011/12/spotify-vs-rdio/), but I guess all of them are on both services now. The only difference I found so far is that Spotify has Led Zeppelin and Metallica, and Rdio lacks that. Am I missing something? Do you guys know about content available in Rdio that Spotify lacks and vice-versa? And what about Deezer?

Thanks.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a Spotify subscription and love it. I first tried it in 2009 but their catalogue was really limited. I recently re-subscribed earlier this year, and their catalogue has grown massively - every song I've wanted to listen to has been on their, even some really obscure Scottish folk music.

I can't comment specifically on its content vs Rdio, but via my anecdotal evidence, I can conclude that Spotify is really great.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I have a Spotify subscription and love it. I first tried it in 2009 but their catalogue was really limited. I recently re-subscribed earlier this year, and their catalogue has grown massively - every song I've wanted to listen to has been on their, even some really obscure Scottish folk music.

I can't comment specifically on its content vs Rdio, but via my anecdotal evidence, I can conclude that Spotify is really great.

Thank you for the feedback. The catalogue is indeed great, and I only missed some things as The Beatles, AC/DC and John Lennon. And they are also absent from Rdio...

Anybody else has any impressions on this?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
As for content, I found out so far that the Back to the Future soundtrack is not available on Spotify, although it is available on Rdio (some tracks are missing, though). And "We Are The World" is on Rdio, but not on Spotify (Spotify has lots of cover versions, but not the original USA for Africa sang by Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie and others). I also failed to find the album "Disney Songs the Satchmo Way", in which Louis Armstrong sings Disney classics, in Spotify (it says it is not available in Brazil), although it is available on Rdio.

Most Motley Crue albums are missing from Rdio, although they are on Spotify.

The charity version of "Perfect Day" (sang by Lou Reed and other artists) released by BBC in 1997 is missing from both Spotify and Rdio. And so is the Gremlins original soundtrack. And several soundtracks from Disney animations (such as Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin) are missing from both services.

Most songs are there, but there are indeed notable things missing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.