Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify today announced a new version of the "Your Library" tab in its mobile apps for iOS and Android, which is "designed to get you to the content you want faster." This update is for Spotify Premium users only.

The company said that it has streamlined Your Library so that you can simply tap or swipe to toggle between new tabs for Music and Podcasts. Under Music you'll find sections divided into Playlists, Artists, and Albums; Podcasts houses Episodes, Downloads, and Shows.

spotify-your-library-update.jpg

When selecting Music, Spotify will automatically show your Playlists section, which still includes all the playlists you've previously made or liked. There's also a new playlist called "Liked Songs," which will accumulate every song you like on Spotify. This section also sorts playlists when you're offline to show the ones that have been downloaded.

Swiping to the artist section shows all of the artists you follow, while the album section is full of albums that you can manually save to listen to later by tapping the heart icon on any album.

Given Spotify's decision to become a big player in the podcast market, the new Podcast section of Your Library facilitates better discovery and podcast organization. The Episodes section lets you easily resume podcasts you are listening to, as well as find newly released episodes of other podcasts you're following.

The Downloads area shows what episodes you've downloaded for offline listening, while the Shows section lets you manage all of the podcasts you follow and explore previous episodes.

The new updates to Your Library will begin rolling out to Premium users beginning today on iOS and Android.

Article Link: Spotify Premium Users Gain Revamped 'Your Library' Tab With Streamlined Navigation

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
They will never manage to implement folders organization into the mobile app. It's a shame you have to fall back to the desktop app to organize your playlists into folders. Waiting since years for this.
It would be nice but it’s not a big deal imo, I only use it occasionally and it makes more sense on a desktop environment

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Yet more disparity between using an app on the phone and CarPlay. 2 completely different interfaces with very different UX.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Yet more disparity between using an app on the phone and CarPlay. 2 completely different interfaces with very different UX.

What am I missing? CarPlay is by Apple and Spotify... isn't. You *want* Apple's disaster of a UI?

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
It's built into iOS, so yes?

I thought that was the case but apparently it has to be built into the app itself. Spotify doesn't have airplay 2 so playing homepod has a 2 second delay when skipping tracks (from what people told me). There's also a petition on spotify forums to get it implemented, still no word on that.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I just want them to let me put playlists at the bottom of the tab instead of the multiple taps. I build most of my playlists on my computer, but on the go I just want to get at them, so it would be a nice change. I know people use the app differently though.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I thought that was the case but apparently it has to be built into the app itself. Spotify doesn't have airplay 2 so playing homepod has a 2 second delay when skipping tracks (from what people told me). There's also a petition on spotify forums to get it implemented, still no word on that.

Seems to be working fine for me:

Attachments

• spotify.jpeg
    spotify.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
Airplay "2". Currently not on for homepod.

I can also send it to my AirPods (they popped up later in the same menu when they were connected), so maybe it's a HomePod issue. I don't have a HomePod, so I'm unable to test it.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
What am I missing? CarPlay is by Apple and Spotify... isn't. You *want* Apple's disaster of a UI?
Didn't say that. Merely pointing out that the gap in difference between using an app on the phone and then on CarPlay gets bigger. This is quite a big shift in UX that isn't replicated in CP

canuckkk

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2019
I wouldn't call it a 'gain' more like a 'loss'... this update is terrible! Spotify sacrificing users access of their own music in favor of pushing their Podcast mandate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.