spotify premium

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by engaged44, Jul 24, 2011.

1. engaged44 macrumors member

anyone have this? today i bought just a month of it and tried it out. so far i am really really liking it. it does need some adjustments and can be better but i like it..debating if i will use this service or not.

2. transam7816 macrumors regular

3. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

You have to have an invite for premium? I thought that was just for the free version.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That was my understanding as well, but if you have a code for a premium account, please please please PM me!

5. engaged44 thread starter macrumors member

no i actually paid the 10 dollars a month or whatever. you don't need an invite if your in the US to get a premium account.

6. alflavor macrumors regular

It's been established for a while now here in the UK, it's a great service, very reliable even on a lower speed ADSL line. (circa 10 Mbps)

However here we pay £9.99 a month which is more than your ten bucks. Still worth it though!

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I bought it as well, and I found the iPhone app to be awful. I didn't like the lack of organizational options like artists, albums, and the like. What do you think about it?

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have been a long-time Mog user, but I thought I'd give Spotify a try. Currently, I have a subscription to both and will end up canceling one of them at the end of the month. My thoughts are as follows:

- Music Library. Both services has a very good selection of music, though Spotify claims to have more. In the limited amount of searching I've done, they seem pretty comparable to me, and I never thought Mog was lacking in this area at all. WINNER: TIE

- Desktop Apps. The Spotify Mac app is terrific! It automatically imported all of my music from iTunes, though some of them were not recognized. It's also lightweight and works very well on the desktop. Mog's desktop interface has improved, but does not offer the same features as Spotify. WINNER: SPOTIFY

- Mobile Interface. The Mog iPhone app has really improved and has a very nice interface. It has a lot more features than the Spotify iPhone app, and the organization is much more intuitive. Spotify, on the other hand, just released their app and have a lot of work to do... though don't they already have an app in Europe that's been out a long time? WINNER: MOG

- Sound quality. Mog has 320 kbps MP3's when connected via WIFI or when downloading to the app for offline playback. Over 3G, it is apparently only 64 kbps streaming on the iPhone. Spotify's OGG streaming has a low bandwidth option of 96 kbps or a high bandwidth option of 160 kbps.

Sources:
    http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/tech/
    http://support.mog.com/kb/general-information/what-audio-quality-bitrate-does-mog-support

Since I do most of my mobile streaming via Bluetooth, I don't really notice a difference in audio quality, but it appears Spotify would have the advantage here if you have a good connection. WINNER: SPOTIFY

- Performance. In realtime usage, I have found that Spotify starts streaming more quickly than Mog. Sometimes it'll take Mog a few seconds to start playing, while Spotify seems to start in just a second or so. When switching to high bandwidth mode in Spotify, I have discovered that the audio will occasionally drop out, so I think it's more difficult to keep a steady connection at this rate. At the low bandwidth option, both Mog and Spotify seem to keep a steady connection and play back smoothly. I haven't had any downtime with Spotify yet, but Mog has had a good number of outages and general server issues since I subscribed last year. On the other hand, the Mog app is overall quicker to start up and easier to use, which leads to an overall increase in satisfaction. WINNER: TIE

SUMMARY:

I'm still undecided at this point. As they are right now, I think I'd still take Mog over Spotify simply because I use the services almost exclusively on my iPhone and Mog's app is MUCH better right now. However, Spotify's actual service is probably better and perhaps its outlook is better (bigger brand recognition and more subscribers, I would imagine). If they can greatly improve their mobile app, then I would probably switch to Spotify.

What do you guys think?

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

10. engaged44 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I like it I guess. It needs improvements. Like I wish it wouldn't import my library to my phone, but rather make a playlist of my library and stream it from the cloud. That would be really nice. I also think it should save a list of all the music you listen to.

This service is off to a great start, but there is a ton of room for much needed improvement. The iPhone app needs to be fixed up a little bit.

I'm going to wait and see what apple has to fully offer with it's Icloud service.

I feel to wait a little bit and see what is best rather then waste money. I cancelled my monthly subscription and I am gonna wait for the future.

11. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I like it, but it's far better on Android.

The iPhone's external speaker just sucks. I like to use Spotify without headphones, and for that purpose...it really isn't loud enough. One of the only things I miss about my old Droid. External sound quality. I suppose Apple could make it louder but then they'd have to add more parts and increase the width of the phone, and it haaaaaaaas to be slim. Blah.

12. y2flyy macrumors member

Does no one like or use Rhapsody?
    I'm a member and find the app and service unmatched. Especially combined with Sonos. I always see users using spotify or MOG which I have tried.

Am I the only one that finds Rhapsody the clear front runner?

13. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I've got the premium membership and it's been great so far. I like the selection and works well on my iPhone. I don't mind the disorganization as much, but it would be nice if they improved it. Only gripe that I have right now is that some of the tracks don't play at random times.

14. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

As of right now, yes, rhapsody is better than spotify. I have both and will be canceling spotify because rhapsodys app is much better than spotify. When spotify gives you the option to pick an artist and shuffle their entire body of work, and has radio stations I'll switch back.

15. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I canceled Rhapsody a while back. Been waiting for Spotify. Got the premium the day it was announced. I really like it. I love the desktop app. The iPhone app is OK, though I've had some issues with it. But I think I prefer Spotify over Rhapsody due to the desktop app.I might even keep it for a while. And you can't beat the free option. Wish it was free on the phone too, then I'd just do the free service.