Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify has begun testing a new subscription plan called "Premium Duo," offering users two Spotify Premium subscriptions for a discounted price of EUR12.49 per month (via The Verge). Tests for Spotify Premium Duo are currently being held in Colombia, Chile, Denmark, Ireland, and Poland, and the company has not mentioned when or if the plan will expand to more territories, including the United States.

spotify-premium-duo.jpg

The new plan is aimed at couples and roommates, providing a separate Spotify Premium account for each person so they can enjoy their own music. Both users on the plan must live at the same address, and Spotify requires a confirmation of address during the sign-up process. Spotify Premium for Family (up to six people sharing the same plan) also requires users to live at the same address, but many people still use it to share accounts from afar with their friends, so Spotify appears to be attempting to curb this behavior with Premium Duo.

Premium Duo comes with an exclusive playlist called "Duo Mix," which Spotify regularly updates based on music that each user on the plan listens to. On mobile devices, Duo Mix will also have two alternate versions that users can switch to with just a tap: "Calm" for more mellow tracks and "Upbeat" for songs with a faster tempo. Additionally, the two members on Premium Duo will be able to create playlists and share them with one another thanks to a Shared Playlists feature.

The bill for the plan will be sent to the person who sets up and purchases the Premium Duo account. In terms of pricing, it appears that the new plan sits somewhere between a normal Premium membership ($9.99) and a Premium for Family membership ($14.99).

Head to Spotify's website for more information on Premium Duo.

Article Link: Spotify Testing 'Premium Duo' Subscription That Offers Discounted Price for Couples or Roommates

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
What of my unique situation where I'm still living with my ex-wife and sleep on the couch as the next-door neighbour sees to her needs? Isn't there a discount applicable for me?

I am sure Spotify could *at least* develop an algorithm to create playlists especially tailored for situations like these!
"Music for the dumped".

Reactions: arkitect

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I am sure Spotify could *at least* develop an algorithm to create playlists especially tailored for situations like these!
"Music for the dumped".

Completely agree. It's disgraceful, it really is. Spotify used to be about innovation with their modular playlists and now they just cater to the "binary relationship" folk.

What ever happened to companies for the bitter love triangles?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Forget Spotify - you've got bigger issues to champion first, like why there isn't an appropriate emoji for your current relationship type.

I know. We need the option to merge different emojis into a GIF which best reflects your situation.

@AngerDanger, reckon you could make a quick one that best summarises my circumstances?

Reactions: AngerDanger

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Just switched from my Hulu $5.99 30 day trial to Spotify $9.99 30 day trial with free Hulu.
So I have another 30 days to watch Hulu and try Spotify premium. Spotify was smart enough that I could use my existing Hulu trial account and switch billing from Hulu to Spotify. Nice.
So far I like it, especially the download for 30 days offline music options. Only thing it doesn't have is multiple profiles like Hulu. Too bad Hulu doesn't have a download option like Spotify.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Incredible that in 2019 big tech has somehow still managed to not get the need of couples, married or otherwise, having a linked yet separate account. Is it indicative of techies being in relationships with hardware and software rather than real people and therefore not understanding what the average Joe and Jane (or Joe and Joe or Jane and Jane) want?

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Why not share your account with your roommate or significant other ?
Because your playlists, recently played stuff will be mixed up and the algorithms that were tailored to you will be jumbled.
I don't like Usher but my significant other does for example. I'll be seeing Usher related stuff on my home tab.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
So I'm guessing you don't get Hulu included in this plan? I'll pass, especially since my wife doesn't make use of her Spotify account anyway.

Last edited:

Kuskah

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2019
Is it the App store tax price or something? Because I'm pretty sure my monthly bill for Premium comes at 5.99 EUR. Or am I getting a "poor country discount"?

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
I'll pay the full $9.99 to avoid having to live with or date anyone. The savings in sanity are worth more.
Maybe the opposite is true, though. Others are avoiding living with you.
[doublepost=1553781693][/doublepost]
Is it the App store tax price or something? Because I'm pretty sure my monthly bill for Premium comes at 5.99 EUR. Or am I getting a "poor country discount"?
Poor country discount, I have one too.
[doublepost=1553781742][/doublepost]
Because your playlists, recently played stuff will be mixed up and the algorithms that were tailored to you will be jumbled.
I don't like Usher but my significant other does for example. I'll be seeing Usher related stuff on my home tab.
Nobody likes usher.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Forget Spotify - you've got bigger issues to champion first, like why there isn't an appropriate emoji for your current relationship type.
Because nobody cares what you do in the shadows.
[doublepost=1553781972][/doublepost]
"Music for the dumped".
Just say “hey Siri I’m feeling blue”.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
A weird one. The difference between 12,99 (Duo, for two people) and 14,99 (Family, for up to 6) is so negligible that it almost makes no appeal for users to pick it up, yet Spotify would lose quite a bit of money.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
I can see someone keeping this even after breaking up for the discount then having the new gf/bf get jelous they are still in the spotify relationship lmao

Reactions: Konigi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.