Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify has added Siri support to the latest beta version of its iOS app, allowing users to ask Siri to play songs, albums, and playlists in Spotify on an iPhone running iOS 13 or later, as noted by The Verge's Tom Warren.

spotify-ios-13-siri.jpg

Apple opened up its SiriKit framework to third-party music, podcasts, audiobooks, and radio apps in iOS 13 and iPadOS, enabling users to use Siri to control audio playback in supported apps. It is now up to third-party apps to take advantage of this functionality, with Spotify and Pandora among the first to do so.

When asking Siri to play a song, album, or so forth, users must specify "on Spotify" or else the feature defaults to Apple Music.

Spotify is finally getting Siri support with iOS 13. You can ask Siri to play songs, albums, and playlists. Here's how it works: https://t.co/Oc7LegT5yr pic.twitter.com/6F97fbjLtX - Tom Warren (@tomwarren) September 27, 2019

Spotify's inability to offer the same Siri integration as Apple Music was one of the tentpoles of its anticompetitive complaint against Apple that it filed with the European Commission earlier this year.

Spotify has not provided a timeframe for rolling out Siri support to all users, but we will provide an update when that happens.

Article Link: Spotify Testing Siri Support on iOS 13

Last edited:
Reactions: Commodore 64

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
With the way things are going Apple should just go open source, every change like this makes investing in the Apple Ecosystem less and less relevant.

Last edited:

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
I wish Spotify would add the ability to download songs to the Apple Watch to be played back without an iPhone. I hate Apple Music but use it for this one feature alone. I know I could use Pandora but I don't like them either.
[automerge]1569591345[/automerge]
god I love Taylor Swift

I have lost whatever respect I had for you...lol.

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Set default source to something other than Apple Music coming in iOS... NEVER

Reactions: rezzo

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
It would be nice if Spotify actually could resume playing after watching a video somewhere.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
How is Spotify relevant in Apple ecosystem ? :p
I am currently using my iMac to control playback of an instance of Spotify running on an iPad in the other room, which is in turn AirPlaying to my Apple TV and the great speakers it's hooked up to. I can pass playback to my iPhone, which has several thousand songs cached for offline use -- or indeed any of the Apple devices I own.

Relevant enough for you?

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Apple should just build in Alexa support, like every other product does these days...

"Hey Siri, ask Alexa to play my music"

But this is about Spotify... "Hey Siri, ask Alexa to play Taylor Swift on Spotify". Done.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I am currently using my iMac to control playback of an instance of Spotify running on an iPad in the other room, which is in turn AirPlaying to my Apple TV and the great speakers it's hooked up to. I can pass playback to my iPhone, which has several thousand songs cached for offline use -- or indeed any of the Apple devices I own.

Relevant enough for you?
Just use Apple Music :p

Reactions: fmcshan and SDJim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.