Spotify to Launch Real-Time Lyrics Support in 26 Countries

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify today launches its real-time lyrics feature in 26 worldwide markets including India, countries in Southeast Asia, and Latin America, according to TechCrunch.

In mobile Spotify apps that receive the update, users can tap the Lyrics card at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, and lyrics scroll across the screen in time to the music, allowing listeners to read them or even sing along in real time.

The following countries will reportedly get the new real-time lyrics feature from 10am ET on Tuesday: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, El Salvador, Uruguay, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

The launch is happening thanks to a new agreement with lyrics provider Musixmatch, which was also the source for the lyrics tests conducted last year. Previously, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Mexico included some lyrics support from other providers.

TechCrunch notes that Canadian users who also reported they could use the lyrics feature in last year's trials will no longer have access to it when the support rolls out to other markets later today.

It's currently unknown whether the new real-time lyrics feature will expand to additional markets anytime soon, but it's hard to imagine Spotify not bringing it to the U.S. and other major Western markets when the necessary licensing agreements are made.

Apple Music gained a similar real-time lyrics feature with the release of iOS 13 last September and macOS Catalina 10.15.4 in March this year.

Article Link: Spotify to Launch Real-Time Lyrics Support in 26 Countries

amartinez1660

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Excuse me the dumb question, I don’t really use or check the lyrics (my music is largely instrumental and electronic) but what’s “real-time” about it?
The few times I have pushed the lyrics button, they are... there, might be synced to the song, etc... like closed captions subtitles on movies which are pre computed, the song file (also pre-recorded) won’t change and suddenly sing with other words during your playback at that time requiring real-time change of the lyrics?
Or do they execute actual audio analysis in real-time and creates the lyrics to display out of it? (which makes sense if the artists aren’t providing lyrics with the song files and they need to be extracted for each of the millions of songs created by the minute)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Excuse me the dumb question, I don’t really use or check the lyrics (my music is largely instrumental and electronic) but what’s “real-time” about it?
The few times I have pushed the lyrics button, they are... there, might be synced to the song, etc... like closed captions subtitles on movies which are pre computed
Yes, like that. In contrast to when it’s just a long text file without anything keeping it in sync (besides you manually scrolling to find where it is right now). You might be too young, but album booklets (when people bought physical media for music) just had static text printed on pages. And iTunes when that came around just had static text files for lyrics. Or if you go the route of searching for lyrics online, the only thing that moves automatically most of the time are the ads.

Reactions: amartinez1660

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
What is with that country list, I mean no offence to them but seems odd. Licence issues or something like that?
probaby licenses. Over here you even have to pay a „copyright“ fee when buying a printer cuz you COULD potentially print out copyright protected lyrics

omglolbbq

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
This used to be built into Spotify desktop with MusicXMatch lyrics a few years back until it got pulled for licensing.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2015
earth
For those who didn’t read the full article:

”It's currently unknown whether the new real-time lyrics feature will expand to additional markets anytime soon, but it's hard to imagine Spotify not bringing it to the U.S. and other major Western markets when the necessary licensing agreements are made.

michaelandrl

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
Unusual list of countries. Normally with feature rollouts it's always: USA, UK, Australia, Canada, EU, Asia, South America and so on

Good for them! Now they have the premier of this feature.
Licenses and probably because Latin American and Southeast Asian countries have huge populations and still has room for more growth that NA/EU market. They’re becoming more of a priority now.

Reactions: jprmercado

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It was already there back in... 2016 maybe?
And then they removed it silently.
Yep, was one of the reasons I eventually switched to Apple Music. Glad they're slowly bringing it back, hopefully it doesn't just vanish on people again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.