Spotify using 60 - 200+% of CPU | Running down battery when not logged in

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MRxROBOT, May 19, 2016.

1. MRxROBOT, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Spotify is using over 60% of the CPU on my 4 core system (0-400%) if the app is open, not logged in and not the active window. It ramps up to over 200% when it is the active window but not logged in.

It does however quickly drop to a few percent when logged in and streaming.

I was surprised and thought those that use Spotify should be aware as this could be running down your battery without you knowing it as most don't keep an eye on their CPU usage.

Update: The high CPU Usage has been remedied by upgrading to 1.0.28.87. If you are running an older version of Spotify with high CPU Usage, updating the app should remedy it.

Update 2: CPU usage was at 100% today when not using Spotify. 1.0.28.87 lessened CPU usage, but did not in fact remedy it.

[​IMG]

2. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

I picked up my MacBook today and noticed immediately how warm it was. This is not something I would have noticed had I not put the MacBook in my lap as there was no heat radiating through the keys and the fan didn't seem to be on (it wasn't audible at least). Took a look at CPU Processes and of course Spotify was using 100% (0-400%). I now have to quit Spotify anytime I'm not using it, which is annoying but not the end of the world and frankly not something I will probably remember to do every time.

I'm running the latest version 1.0.28.87 on OS X 10.11.5 on a 2015 15.4" MacBook Pro. Is anybody else experiencing issues like this? Can someone recommend a stable build?
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    To clarify. I was logged in but not streaming anything.

3. nnoble macrumors regular

I'm running the latest version 1.0.28.87 on OS X 10.11.5 on a 2015 15.4" MacBook Pro. Is anybody else experiencing issues like this? Can someone recommend a stable build?
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    To clarify. I was logged in but not streaming anything.[/QUOTE]

When the fans on my MacBook Pro go into overdrive, clicking on the battery icon usually reveals the culprit to be Spotify and Airfoil. Activity monitor proves Spotify hogging most of the resources. As above, not necessarily streaming anything. This has been the case through all the regular updates. Annoying having to keep closing it down and swapping to iPad. At least now I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

4. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Does this happen all the time on you system? Today I looked down at the dock and realized i hadn't closed out of Spotify, so I checked CPU usage and it wasn't revved up. I wonder what the trigger is?

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

6. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

That is not encouraging. I may have to move streaming services, which is not ideal solution as I really enjoy the service. Are any builds more stable than the latest?

7. nnoble macrumors regular

I've simply killed it off when the fan goes into overdrive without giving it much thought. There doesn't appear to be a pattern but from now on I'm going to pay more attention to see if a pattern exists.

8. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

I would say Spotify hired the same developers from Adobe Flash.