Spotify ... when???

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mjt2810, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mjt2810 macrumors newbie

Ok, so it's been nearly a week since the announcement it was approved and that it would be on the App Store very soon (or soon) ... but when exactly?

What is the big delay? When has this sort of delay between approval and availability happened before?

All seems a bit odd to me .... or, am I just impatient and waiting to get my hands on it with my premium account!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

The developer can set a release date once approved. Spotify is probably waiting for some big announcement or event to make the app available (US availability maybe?)

4. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Some speculation around that its going to be announced/released at apples big event coming up (next week I think).

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

From the Spotify site

"Spotify is not available in the US right now so we won’t releasing the app there at all. It will be available in our current launch countries"

6. sallythemac Guest

From @spotify at 8:29 AM Sep 1st:

7. Marky macrumors regular

Spotify are working on their 'back end' servers (I presume to ensure demand can be coped with) before releasing it into the App Store.

According to one of their guys who posted elsewhere just after the announcement that the App had been approved.

Don't have a link I'm afraid - just going from memory.

8. *GG* macrumors regular

I keep checking. I plan to get the Premium for a month to try it the moment it is released.

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I have never seen an app that has taken this long to show up on the app store after it got approved. Which leads me to believe that we wont see it in the app store. I think that Apple is just trying to buy time and trying to find a way that it some how is a breach of the Developer contract.

For me its very simple, if it dosnt come on the app store, I wont use a iPhone anymore and will go out and get an Android device. Spotify is an amazing service and its well worth the £10 P/M.

10. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

As far as I know, when an app is approved its up to the developer to set a release date. All the things I've read around the net points to Spotify sorting out things their end such as servers. Theres also a fair few rumours about it being announced at apples big music related event on Wednesday. Or if you're a jailbreaker, just use Spot for now!

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The app has been approved by Apple. But the developers can, and apparently the Spotify developers did, delay it's release.

12. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

13. n1ck macrumors member

14. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

15. *GG* macrumors regular

It's here and is working well on my iPhone yaaaaay.

I love the offline mode - it will make it worthwhile and save buying albums. The only thing is it could do with a browser in it, so I could surf the web whilst listening.

16. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Anyone thinking apple might do a similar service with iTunes? Or should I just sign up to spotify now?

17. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, yes

18. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Yeah thought so, just signed up. Looking forward to using it.

19. *GG* macrumors regular

The advantage is you can cancel whenever you want very easily - so try it for a month. (That's my plan anyway).

20. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

21. Che Castro macrumors 603

22. philgilder macrumors 68000

What country are you in?

23. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

It'd be nice if I could choose a Genre to listen to or something non-specific. I don't always have an artist or album in mind when I want to listen to something.

24. gerdav macrumors newbie

You can on the desktop app, I haven't tried the iPhone app as I am not a premium subscriber, but on your mac for example type in genre:whateveryouwant in the search, it also works for year or a specific record label just type in label:universal etc.

For anyone that has the app can you actually do anything else while listening yo the music, like use Safari, play games, check scores or news app etc as without this I don't think I will bother subscribing yet.

25. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Good tip! From the Spotify faq

Just tested in the tracks search and it works!