Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify today made its annual recap feature "Spotify Wrapped" available to users on the iOS and Android app. This feature tracks your top artists, genres, songs, podcasts, and minutes listened, and generates graphics that are easily shareable on social media.

PR_2021_Top5Artists_A-1-2048x1152.jpeg

There are a few new additions to Spotify Wrapped 2021, including "2021: The Movie," which pairs your top songs with classic scenes from movies; "Your Audio Aura," which visualizes your audio aura based on top music moods; "Playing Cards," which is an interactive quiz game about your listening habits; and "2021 Wrapped Blend," which compares your listening tastes with friends.

Spotify Wrapped can now be shared on TikTok as well as the usual platforms like Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can generate these custom graphics and find all of your personalized Spotify Wrapped 2021 data in the 2021 Wrapped Hub, which also has the overall top songs, podcasts, and artists of 2021.

PR_2021_TopSong-1-2048x1152.jpeg

Apple Music users looking for a similar year-end recap feature will have to rely on the Replay 2021 playlist, which has been tracking subscribers' most-listened-to songs since February. Apple Music for the web also has a few more pieces of data, like top albums and artists of the year, but Apple has yet to compete with Spotify's deep dive into niche user listening habits and shareable social media graphics.

The Apple Music Replay 2021 playlist can be found on your "Listen Now" tab in the Apple Music app, and once you add it to your library there is a "Made For You" section in the Library tab that makes the playlist more easily accessible. You'll find a Replay playlist for every year you've held an Apple Music subscription, dating back to the service's launch in 2015.

Article Link: 'Spotify Wrapped' Recaps Your Listening History for 2021

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
Spotify Wrapped can now be shared on TikTok as well as the usual platforms like Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can generate these custom graphics and find all of your personalized Spotify Wrapped 2021 data in the 2021 Wrapped Hub, which also has the overall top songs, podcasts, and artists of 2021.
Does Spotify cover the cost of licensing music for social media distribution or is the clip intentionally short to skirt reproduction laws?

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
That’s a nice feature. A great reminder what you have been listening to.
And here I was thinking this was the opposite. A useless diary of what you did while you were weren't really doing anything especially useful, information with which you could do... what? Will you reflect on time poorly spent? Which can itself only be time even more poorly spent. Will you instead share with your friends, hoping that if you can get them to follow your lead that it would somehow make your last year's listening slide to the "productivity" column? Next thing we'll have Netflix send me lists and graphs of what I watched last year. If it was good, I don't need the reminder and if it wasn't, it's best forgotten. And I definitely don't need other people sending me their lists and graphs.

reklex

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
Catujal
Apple Music needs to do something like this, the playlist of the year isn't enough.

the thing is that this acts as a major exposure for Spotify during this time of the year. I'm sure Apple Music could get some more people onboard if they had this.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
Yet they still haven't fixed the nonsense with the battery bug plaguing everyone with iOS 15. But yeah, playlists are cool.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
A useless diary of what you did while you were weren't really doing anything especially useful, information with which you could do... what? Will you reflect on time poorly spent? Which can itself only be time even more poorly spent.
reminisce? reflect on the current year? cognitively archive my thoughts? evaluate?

Will you reflect on time poorly spent?
poorly spent? you mean like making a non-constructive post on an forum to a bunch of strangers with similar interests? no probably not.

Which can itself only be time even more poorly spent.
when i'm on a train journey? commuting? (things like that)

Will you instead share with your friends,
no? but you can, as we live in a society.

hoping that if you can get them to follow your lead that it would somehow make your last year's listening slide to the "productivity" column? Next thing we'll have Netflix send me lists and graphs of what I watched last year. If it was good, I don't need the reminder and if it wasn't, it's best forgotten. And I definitely don't need other people sending me their lists and graphs.
have you just discovered kanban? do you visualise general life stuff through the lens of atlassian products?

Next thing we'll have Netflix send me lists and graphs of what I watched last year. If it was good
hmm, kind of an insightful way to get an overview of something, like how a historical CSV export of your transactions is a good way to get an overview of your finances.

If it was good, I don't need the reminder and if it wasn't, it's best forgotten.
that's not the point of this feature. the point goes over your head.

And I definitely don't need other people sending me their lists and graphs.
just tell them not to in future.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Do the world a favour and don’t share it on social media. Nobody cares about your taste in music.
I don’t know about you, but my friends care about what I listen to, and I care about what they listen to, so I like seeing them share their Spotify Wrapped.

This is honestly one of the best things that Spotify does. Wrapped is very engaging.

I’m on Apple Music too, and I’m hoping they do something as fun.

gco212

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I don’t know about you, but my friends care about what I listen to, and I care about what they listen to, so I like seeing them share their Spotify Wrapped.

This is honestly one of the best things that Spotify does. Wrapped is very engaging.

I’m on Apple Music too, and I’m hoping they do something as fun.

I get introduced to a lot of new music every year by looking at friends' lists.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I use Spotify for music curation only. I’ve been using Tidal for the higher audio quality this past year.

Spotify Wrapped pegged me at 13,525 total minutes of listening.

Matti_

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2020
Apple Music needs to do something like this, the playlist of the year isn't enough.

the thing is that this acts as a major exposure for Spotify during this time of the year. I'm sure Apple Music could get some more people onboard if they had this.
I guess Apple will copy it soon

EuroChilli

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Of the 100 songs/artists in my Wrapped playlist, I already knew maybe 10 of them before I started using Spotify just over a year ago, the other 90 are all new to me. I have discovered so much new music recently, particularly indie. Sure, I have my vinyl collection with all the classics, and just when I thought there was no more good music in this world, along comes Spotify. I hardly ever listen to commercial FM radio anymore, not even in the car, as they basically always play what they want you to listen to, or what they are paid by the mainstream record companies to play for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: jprmercado

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
I always look forward to these, mine goes back to 2016.

Do you guys remember iTunes Signature Maker? It was a very old java based site that would take your iTunes library and mash up everything you had in under like 5 minutes. I have a few oldies saved and sounds like an audible time machine. I had it bookmarked but it just redirects to http://distributedmusic.gatech.edu/itsm/ now

Reactions: jprmercado

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
70E82EC2-756F-491E-873C-23D06C81E545.gif
And here I was thinking this was the opposite. A useless diary of what you did while you were weren't really doing anything especially useful, information with which you could do... what? Will you reflect on time poorly spent? Which can itself only be time even more poorly spent. Will you instead share with your friends, hoping that if you can get them to follow your lead that it would somehow make your last year's listening slide to the "productivity" column? Next thing we'll have Netflix send me lists and graphs of what I watched last year. If it was good, I don't need the reminder and if it wasn't, it's best forgotten. And I definitely don't need other people sending me their lists and graphs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.