Spotlight advanced search criteria question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m021478, Jul 18, 2008.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I am trying to do a spotlight search to find images in a particular directory that have have a specific "pixels per inch" value (popularly referred to as "DPI")...Does anyone know how this can be done using spotlight?

I am sure this can also be done using an AppleScript or an Automator action somehow, but I am specifically interested in figuring out which of the various spotlight advanced search criteria would permit me to weed out such images...

In the 'Other..." list of Spotlight advanced search criteria, I've found "Resolution Height/Width", "Pixel Height/Width", and a few others that seem like they might be a good starting point to search with, but nothing has allowed me to narrow down my searches for images that are, say for example, 72ppi or 300ppi (aka ~ 72dpi or 300dpi).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know how Spotlight could do it effectively. I know that in Finder, you could set certain criteria, such as pixels in height and width, but I don't know of any that would show pixels per inch or DPI. Maybe a 3rd party Finder substitute. I've discovered quite a few shortcomings in Finder's capabilities.

3. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

It would appear that this is one of those shortcomings...bummer!

Anyone know of a good third party app that can do this (without requiring that I catalog and/or import all of the images to do so? Is this not something that is accessible via the file's metadata?

4. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

It turns out this is possible...I posted the same question on another forum and got this response...

YEAH!