Spotlight and download validation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NgCir, May 25, 2009.

1. NgCir macrumors newbie

Hey a quick question.

I am trying to use spotlight more and see if I can use it to replace quicksilver. One thing that I have run into is very frustrating. I type in a part of a previously visited webpage. It finds it in history. I click on it and a warning dialogue pops up which says "http.WebpageI'mTryingToGetTo.webhistory" is an application which was downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it. I have the choice to either cancel or open it.

This kind of oversight in OS X reminds me in a very bad way of Vista. Is there a way for me to turn it off?

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It doesn't do it with me using spotlight for opening history items.

Which Safari version are you running (Menu Bar > Safari > About Safari)?

3. acxz macrumors regular

It's hardly an oversight. It's there to protect you =/

4. NgCir thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant oversight, as in the OS is overseeing and monitoring my file downloads. Its fine for newer users, but I really don't need to be asked whether I really want to open a file that was downloaded from the internet. I know what I'm downloading.

Safari is version 3.2.1

Thanks for any help.

5. DarkJaye macrumors member

For future reference, that's definitely not proper use of the word oversight at all.

And, on topic, I'm launching history items from Spotlight just fine here, no popups. Safari 4 Beta.

6. NgCir thread starter macrumors newbie

LoL I speak English natively; I even have a degree in English Lit. Here is the definition from OS X's own dictionary:

1 an unintentional failure to notice or do something : he said his failure to pay for the tickets was an oversight | was the mistake due to oversight?
    and......
    2 the action of overseeing something : effective oversight of the financial reporting process.

I'm calling apple today to see if they have any ideas.

7. NgCir thread starter macrumors newbie

That turned out to be a complete waste of time. He just kept telling me I could access webpages I had visited by using bookmarks in Safari and that Spotlight was designed to only search my hard drive and not the internet....wanted to bang my head against the desk.

He did however have the same popup come up when he used it to access webpages he had been to.

Curious what version of OS X people that do not have this issue are running. I haven't updated as of yet and am still running 10.5.6. This MBP is less than a month old so everything is up to date with the exception of that.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have 10.5.6 and Safari Version 4 Public Beta (5528.17).

Maybe you could try Safari 4, for a beta it's quite stable, or maybe I'm not throwing enough at it to get it to crash or something.
    http://www.apple.com/safari/