Spotlight at your fingertips...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Oct 29, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

I really wish there was an option to spotlight appear wherever your mouse-cursor is (like quicksilver) or in front of you somewhere in the center of the screen instead of only all the way up to the right.

leopards spotlight is really super-fast and it would be even more powerful as described above and imho replace quicksilver all-together.
    yes i know i could do the finder-spotlight but the way it displays it in usual spotlight-list-mode is handier most of the time if you want to quickly look for things and launch them.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Why not just hit option-space and start typing? That has been the fastest way for me for years.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yes but i just wish it was more in front of me instead of the upper right corner. i'm using a big resolution and feel that my productivity would increase if spotlight was quickly launched like that but rather centered in front of me.

4. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I loved QuickSilver but have not downloaded it now that I can launch applications from Spotlight. However, you still can't really reveal where the apps reside, open a certain file with a certain application, etc. QuickSilver still has it's benefits.

However, dependent on what mouse you have, why don't you just go to System Preferences and set Spotlight to your middle-click or something. Dunno if you have a mighty mouse or not, but that would probably work great.

5. JJacks macrumors newbie

Spotlight and email

I have lots of old emails (about 5 GB worth) and search them regularly for topics, names, etc, and mostly in the contents. This is my business and I need them at my fingertips even from 15 years ago.

When I moved them first from Outlook on my Dell to Mail on MacBook Pro Spotlight refused to index it period. So I could see the email but Spotlight would not. With Apple's tech support tried to reindex it and nothing would work. Then learned from one of the forums that if your emails total to more than 1.5 GB Spotlight will just refuse to index them.
    So I moved everything to Entourage and got it going (sort of).

Have major problem with emails which get lots of replies back and forth since of course no one changes the subject field. So when I go to Spotlight it finds them now in Entourage correctly but they all look the same and have the same subject. Even the new Leopard Cover Flow does not show what is inside them. To add insult to injury Spotlight only sorts them by Last Opened Date so you cannot go by the chronology because as soon as you open one it pops to the top of the search.

Does anyone know how to sort emails in a group like that with the same subject without having to open every single one of them?