Spotlight & Aurora.jpg

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kashchei, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I was poking through the innards of Leopard soon after its release and I found the file (Aurora.jpg) that serves as the screenshot at startup. I decided to change this the other day now that I'm tired of it, although I forgot exactly where this file was located. I went to Spotlight and did a search for the exact file name and there were no hits. Does Spotlight not search in the Systems folder and if not, can anyone tell me the precise location of this file as startup picture?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Spotlight can no longer search for system files like it could in Tiger. There is a longer way you can use to get it to find system files.

Anyway the file is here

/System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg

Edit: Found the description of the way to get it to search for System Files (would've been quicker to just write it again myself)

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Do you mean Tiger?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes I did mean Tiger.

5. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much xUKHCx! Glad to see the old avatar back as well!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No problemo, the avatar was changed as part of a game that led up to MWSF.

My avatar is actually from the film Evil Dead.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just know that you have to change the file permissions for it to stick if you are using a file with a different resolution.

Or

Apparently there is a non terminal way to fix that which is great because it's a lot easier than having to remember what the correct commands were.

8. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Evil Dead-I don't remember that film (but the last horror film I went to was probably Halloween II--I'm dating myself here).
    Is this a game you can talk about? I did notice there were a lot of old school Apple videos as avatars suddenly but I didn't know it was a planned and organized campaign. Do tell if you are able.

Thank you for that-you have headed off a pathetic post on my part that would have read something like this: "I don't know what I did wrong but . . . ."

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

See this thread for more details, although it is not as good now that people have changed their avatars back.

I never had to change the permissions on my file for it to work but it does seem to be a case of your milage may vary so worth pointing it out.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. When I tried to change it, it wouldn't do it unless I changed the permissions. Maybe it's the jpg format my camera uses? Who knows. Just putting it out there just in case he had an issue.