Spotlight cannot find some folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guru_ck, Oct 8, 2008.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I went to search for "ColorSync" in Spotlight but it wasn't able to pull up the folder. It exists though @ Macintosh HD > Users > Chris > Library > ColorSync

Why can't Spotlight locate it?

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I noticed that spotlight tends to find files such as documents, music, and mail and ignores system files. Its nice to filter it out when I'm just looking for a Word file but kind of frustrating when I want to make some system modifications.

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Spotlight omits "System files" by default. To include system files (like those inside "~/Library/") enable the "Include System Files" option (you have to select "Other" from the drop down menu first to get the "System files" option).

[​IMG]

I checked the "In menu" check box too since I do this a lot.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

By default Spotlight in Leopard wont list system files (in used to in Tiger)

To search through system files, initiate a search in a finder window, then hit the little '+' button, you'll then get a menu. Click Kind to bring up the menu, select Other, then select System Files. (See Pictures)

Edit: Too slow :)

Attached Files:

5. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

6. blanco macrumors newbie

Spotlight in 10.5 is not that great...

I just upgraded to from Tiger and maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seen its not searching certain folders like Library so when I try to delete an app, I have to manually search for its tracks in preferences and app support. Before I would type in say "roxio" and it would display EVERYTHING with the word roxio. It would even sort the results in finder according to category like apps and pdf's and folders. Now all I get is a list of unsorted files and cant even change the view options with command+j. Am I missing something?...

7. blanco macrumors newbie

awesome! thanks.

now is there something I can do about the way search results are displayed? I want them sorted like in Tiger...

8. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

They ***CRIPPLED*** spotlight in 10.5. The best thing going for Finder, and they ripped its heart out.

edit: fixed

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What has Safari got to do with Spotlight?

10. EclipX macrumors member

EclipX

[​IMG]