Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Running El Cap (10.11.1) on an iMac. Everything was absolutely fine until this morning when -- all of a sudden -- Spotlight doesn't surface apps any more!

I type "iBank" and it shows me a link to the app on the Mac App Store.

I try "Activity Monitor," it shows me the Wikipedia entry.

As an app launcher, it's suddenly dead. No idea why or how. Haven't installed anything or done anything weird. It just...stopped working.

I tried rebooting. Tried adding the Applications folder to my Privacy list in System Preferences, then removing it to jostle Spotlight into re-indexing it.

Nothing.

Has anyone else encountered this? Anyone have any ideas?

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
While I don't have exactly same problem I am very disappointed with Spotlight in El Capitan. It cannot find all the documents that very easily found in Mavericks.

What you can try is add whole drive into Privacy list and remove it to force Spotlight to reindex whole drive. In my case it helped a little but search results are still incomplete. I reported it to Apple last month and I'm hoping it will fixed in the future. Currently I'm using Mavericks because El Capitan has too many bugs.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Looks like Ebenezum's idea worked. I'll keep the command line in my pocket in case it acts up again! My thanks to both of you!

Reactions: Partron22

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Looks like Ebenezum's idea worked. I'll keep the command line in my pocket in case it acts up again! My thanks to both of you!

It's practically the same thing. Adding a volume to the privacy tab will cause Spotlight to erase the search index for that volume (in this case the entire drive). All the command does it erase the index of your drive without blacklisting it first. In both cases the index is cleared and can be reindexed.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think Spotlight in El Capitan behaves differently on every computer I've tried!

Because of this I've started using Launchpad to start apps. Made the keyboard shortcut for Launchpad "Control-Space".

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think Spotlight in El Capitan behaves differently on every computer I've tried!

Because of this I've started using Launchpad to start apps. Made the keyboard shortcut for Launchpad "Control-Space".

You may also want to have a look at some good third-party applications like Alfred, LaunchBar and Quicksilver.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You will need to disable System Integrity Protection, Go to recovery mode and in terminal you will need to type "
csrutil disable" and then "reboot" then try and re index your spotlight.

You don't need to turn off SIP for this. The command works. Ebenezum posted also posted a method that doesn't require root access.

Reactions: Weaselboy

andressm

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2015
Punta del Este, Uruguay
My spotlight it has been like the screen shot (indexing) for more than a week, eaven after reindexing ate the spotlight sistem preferences, adding and removing the entirely hard drive.
Somebody have a clue? I dont know how to use the commands.

Many thanks,
Andres

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2015-11-24 a las 12.17.56 p.m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2015-11-24 a las 12.17.56 p.m..png
    227.8 KB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.