Spotlight - Change search engine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tannpasta, Oct 12, 2014.

1. tannpasta macrumors newbie

Hi, I'd like to change Spotlight's web search engine, which is Google.

Safari has Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and Google as alternatives. I changed the main search engine in both Safari and Firefox (main browser), but Spotlight still uses Google, and opens it in Firefox.

Any ninja tricks to solve this mystery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No ninja tricks. Just go to Safari > Preferences and change the default search engine there. That also affects Spotlight. If that doesn't work, try restarting Safari and restarting your Mac.

3. tannpasta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks, that's what I've tried, and tried again now, and it still uses Google. Restarted both Safari, Firefox and the mac itself many times. Weird, also other forums say the same. I'm running Mavericks (10.9.5), might that have something to do with it... Is there anything I could do in Terminal?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm on 10.9.5, as well. It works perfectly. There's certainly something going on that's unique to your setup that needs some troubleshooting. I don't know of a Terminal command that would help, but someone may.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. tannpasta thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know why it's not working on with my machine. Just strange since it's a brand new MBP Retina.

satcomer: It seems like this app only changes the "open with" for filetypes, so I don't know how I could make it change the search engine in Spotlight.

Thanks anyway! I'll stick to browser searching for now. Maybe it works with the Yosemite update.