Spotlight - developer category?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andreas.b, Jul 7, 2011.

1. andreas.b macrumors newbie

I've noticed that after installing Lion on multiple systems, that a "Developer category" is added to Spotlight.

It is highly annoying, as it is showing a bunch of documents that I do not have an interest in being visible in the Spotlight menu. It clutters it up.

However, there is no way to disable this from the spotlight menu.

Anyone else noticed this? What gives?

2. lenartr macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. I disabled all the categories (but Applications) and still have Developer and Web Searches sections showing up in the spotlight. I understand people at Apple want to make lives easier for some people but they should also give user an option to disable this. Now I know why I was using Quicksilver before.

P.S. Same goes for iTunes starting up on every multimedia button I hit on my keyboard :cool:

3. little johnny, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

little johnny macrumors newbie

I too noticed this ultra annoying "feature". It makes spotlight a seriously crappy application launcher now. Let there be a fix!

Edit: Oh yeah, I tried excluding in the privacy settings of Spotlight all the developer folders (like /<home>/Developer and /<root>/Developer, etc. It didn't work.

4. little johnny macrumors newbie

Brilliant! Working wonderfully for me. (It wasn't clear, however, that the converted file com.apple.spotlight.plist retains its original file name. I was looking around the folder for an xml file.) Thanks a ton!