Spotlight--disabling indexing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by disconap, Apr 24, 2009.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, so this is a recent problem I've had--Spotlight seems to be indexing my drives for several hours EVERY DAY. I am running 10.5.6 on a dual 2.0 G5, so while resources aren't the slimmest in the world, this is obviously messing with my workflow. So I would like to know if there is a way to disable indexing WITHOUT deleting the index files; every method I have found, from command line options to apps (like Spotless 2) either delete the entire index or disable Spotlight entirely. What I would LIKE to be able to do is disable the ACT of indexing until I tell it to index; either that or schedule it for like maybe twice a week at times when I am not needing those resources.

In 10.4.11 I've found you can go into Activity Monitor and force quit the indexing operation and it will simply stop; in Leopard it just restarts a few seconds later, and for some reason it's only been the past maybe month that it's started doing this on a daily basis. Any ideas?

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

Disabling/Re-enabling Spotlight:
    http://www.nerdlogger.com/2007/08/how-to-turn-spotlight-off-and-on-again.html

3. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Appreciated, but again I don't want to turn Spotlight off, I want to turn indexing off...

4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

sudo mdutil -i off /