Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franz.see

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
If I try to run some applications via spotlight or dock, they do not work properly. But if I try to run them via command line, they work ok.

Here are some samples:
* Safari - when opened with spotlight/dock, it launches but could not connect to the internet
* Skype - when opened with spotlight/dock, the Skype icon keeps on bouncing in the dock till it goes to a "Application Not responding" status (and the Skype UI does not launch at all)
* NetBeans - when opened with spotlight/dock, same as Skype - Netbean icons keeps on bouncing in the dock till it goes to a "Application Not responding" status (and the Netbeans UI does not launch at all as well).

However, running Safari & Skype via command line (ie. typing `/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari -psn_0_409700` from the Terminal for Safari; and `/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype -psn_0_356439` from the Terminal for Skype) will launch both applications with no problem - that is Safari will be able to connect to the internet, while Skype's UI will show up (which means I could login, chat, etc). Note: I haven't been successful running Netbeans from the Terminal yet.

I've also tried reinstalling my Skype & my Netbeans but that did not help.

Moreover, some applications do work perfectly with me (i.e. adium, Firefox, Chrome Browser, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Franz See

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.