iPhone Spotlight does not work as advertised

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by OneAnswer, Sep 21, 2014.

1. OneAnswer, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

OneAnswer macrumors member

Hi.

I have an iPhone 5s with iOS 8 now.

As you know, Apple promised us this with Spotlight: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/spotlight/

I do not seem to get it to work, I have gone to Settings >> General >> Spotlight Search and enabled the following:

Applications
    Spotlight Suggestions
    Contacts
    Music
    Notes
    Mail

Do I have do enable something else? Does it not work outside the USoA?

2. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I'm in Canada and it works. I assume you mean the Wiki and Bing results.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Are you using a third-party keyboard? When I input text using Swype, Spotlight doesn't show me nearby places, web searches, etc. But when I type each character in individually (as you would with the default keyboard), the results immediately show up.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I don't know what's missing for you, but the page you linked to says "Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas."

5. OneAnswer thread starter macrumors member

I use the built in keyboard for that. I only have the buggy SwiftKey keyboard installed anyway, but as secondary choice.
    Yep, reading comprehension never was my strong suit, especially when it comes to the small print. I guess Germany is not a country they have included in that option yet.

Now let's see what else does not work in iOS 8.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It works just fine for me even with a third party keyboard.

[​IMG]

7. OneAnswer thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, looked at the list and Spotlight Suggestions are available in Germany and some other countries.

8. OneAnswer thread starter macrumors member

Found the bug.

Spotlight Suggestions has that check getting disable once one leaves Spotlight Search settings. One can recheck again and again, it unchecks as soon as one leaves the Spotlight Search dialog.

I guess it is time for a big report that gets overlooked anyway.

9. Fearz macrumors newbie

10. fuoco macrumors newbie

I'm also in Germany and Spotlight auggestions don't work. Since 8.1 there's no longer the problem of the tick getting automatically disabled, but even though it's enabled no results are coming up. This is true both in my iPad air and iPhone 4s.

Does it work for anyone else in Germany?

By the way my region is set to Germany, and language to English (should that still count...)

11. fuoco macrumors newbie

So the language does still count. I found now the following support page which confirms this:
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6497

So I guess it means it's here to stay, and is not some bug that will get fixed. Can't understand the logic behind that.
    What does Region setting actually affect? What would one want to set it to anyway?