Spotlight doesn't find stuff - why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stimpycat, Mar 28, 2008.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

Hello - I recently lost some bookmarks in firefox. I know these are stored somewhere with the filename bookmarks.html so I searched with spotlight to locate it

It brings up no results - I have 2 HD's but have it set on 'search my mac' which is both of them.

I can locate the file myself through users>library>application support etc but is there a reason spotlight can't find it? I have my preferences set to show everything.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple decided to Think Different™ and cripple Spotlight in Leopard. Among other things, it no longer searches inside the Library.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Spotlight doesn't search through system folders by default you have to tell it each time you search to do so.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Annoying as hell. I really miss this from Tiger!

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I know it's an old thread, but maybe you guys can help me. I use spotlight as an application launcher except it no longer sees Firefox. What would change so that it doesn't see that app?

Even finder refuses to find Firefox.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is FireFox still otherwise alive and well in the directory you have it in?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may need to re-index your hard drive.

8. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Gonna try this out. I will let you know.

UPDATE: No luck on this one. Tried it but nothing. I tried something as well that de-indexed everything in spotlight. I had to go into terminal to do that, but for some reason it won't reindex now...

Yeah all the apps are sitting in the application folder. Now the only thing spotlight finds is dictionary stuff...

- - -

UPDATE 2: There we go. I forced it back into indexing with the terminal command:

sudo mdutil -i on /