spotlight doesn't find words in pdf documents

darkmeton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Whenever I'm in a folder which has pdf documents inside and a search a word in the search field in the finder the results are a total mess. It sometimes finds the words inside the pdfs and sometimes it doesn't. What is worse is that whenever I open a pdf with preview, it almost NEVER finds the word I'm looking. It just shows the loading sign and never return results. Any ideas? I don't think it's the indexing the spotlight does. It looks like a bug of preview.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are they documents that were scanned to PDF? If that is the case I don't think spotlight can find words. If it's say a document printed to PDF then it will be able to find by keyword.

darkmeton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Are they documents that were scanned to PDF? If that is the case I don't think spotlight can find words. If it's say a document printed to PDF then it will be able to find by keyword.
if you mean that they contain pictures as letters, or plain letters, then no, they are not scans. They are PowerPoint publishes. I've run some tests and it seems that in other pdf files that are not from PowerPoint, search works. So maybe its Microsoft's fault (AGAIN AND ANGAIN..damn!) for not doing a good pdf export to PowerPoint documents. Guess we will never now until an update comes..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.