spotlight doesn't find words in pdf documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darkmeton, Dec 7, 2009.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

Whenever I'm in a folder which has pdf documents inside and a search a word in the search field in the finder the results are a total mess. It sometimes finds the words inside the pdfs and sometimes it doesn't. What is worse is that whenever I open a pdf with preview, it almost NEVER finds the word I'm looking. It just shows the loading sign and never return results. Any ideas? I don't think it's the indexing the spotlight does. It looks like a bug of preview.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are they documents that were scanned to PDF? If that is the case I don't think spotlight can find words. If it's say a document printed to PDF then it will be able to find by keyword.

3. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

if you mean that they contain pictures as letters, or plain letters, then no, they are not scans. They are PowerPoint publishes. I've run some tests and it seems that in other pdf files that are not from PowerPoint, search works. So maybe its Microsoft's fault (AGAIN AND ANGAIN..damn!) for not doing a good pdf export to PowerPoint documents. Guess we will never now until an update comes..