Spotlight doesn't search EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by M. Malone, Mar 9, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

I was trying to find a certain email I sent a few months back, so I type in the keywords I remembered in Spotlight. It didn't find it, so after so much time of scrolling, I find it, I was surprised it didn't appear in my search results, so I try again, and Spotlight still can't find this email. Also many things in my Mac it won't find, even though after clicking around I find them, Spotlight seems to be out of sync with the contents in my Mac.

I remember in Tiger is use to find EVERYTHING, even little keywords inside documents. How can I fix it?

thanks

2. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Problem solved, I downloaded Maintenance 3.8 from Apple.com and it cleaned my mac including reindexing Spotlight. Now it's back to normal.
    :D

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

For future reference, you can force Spotlight to re-index your hard drive by going to the Spotlight panel in System Preferences and, in the Privacy section, adding you hard drive as a device not to search. Then, go back in and remove your HD from Privacy. Spotlight will then reindex everything on the drive.

4. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

good info, thanks! :D

5. dhyde79 macrumors newbie

just tried this on 10.5.4 and nothing.....I hit ctrl+space, spotlight pops up, type in anything at all, it doesn't even attempt to search......

any suggestions?