Spotlight finding very old delated emails... why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madget, Jun 17, 2009.

1. madget macrumors newbie

If I type in a contact name spotlight will turn up deleted emails (long deleted both from the phone and the server) that date back to almost one year ago... When I click on them I can read the messages and also get a glitch that will show: 1 of 0. They don't exist in any of my mailboxes... and again, they are not on my server. Where are these emails coming from?

2. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

I'm noticing the same thing. They don't show up when searching within Mail itself though, only Spotlight.

3. astrobanana macrumors regular

its the power, of spotlight
    the light can raise emails from the great beyond, and into the realm of readability

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

5. madget thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope... not in my trash...

I just did a clean install and that erased all the old saved up emails (& cleared about 250mb of memory).

I then -- having no emails on the phone -- did a test with a message that someone sent me. Had it on the phone and the server and, as it should, it showed up in Spotlight. Deleted the message from the server. Still on the phone -- fine. Deleted it from the inbox and the trash to totally erase it from the phone and it's gone from both those folders -- fine! Go back to spotlight... and now it shows that I have TWO copies of the same message -- yet it doesn't appear in any of my folders!

Definitely something glitchy going on!

6. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Everybody knows now that Google and Yahoo do not actually delete files when you "delete" them. They disappear from your mailbox but they remain on the Google or Yahoo server forever. (Google collects unlimited amounts of data and uses it to perform statistics). Yes, even your confidential emails (it's in the gmail legal disclaimer). Anyhow, I'm assuming that iPhone mail search when you click on "search all 2,100 messages" searches the server and not the form of your mailbox that you actually see.

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Since I use neither Yahoo or Google, this doesn't appear to be a problem on my phone. Also, check your SPAM folder and make sure it is deleted as well.

While I agree Google and Yahoo keep you e-mails forever, I doubt the iPhone does that deep of a search.

8. madget thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using google or yahoo... but I suppose my server could be doing the same thing. However, when I log on directly to my server via webmail -- or check the server feed through entourage (which I imagine would access the same mail as the spotlight search) -- those messages are not appearing anywhere. It seems to me that they are not actually being delated off the iphone...

9. scionfriar macrumors member

Same issue with Mobile Me. There appears to be a cache somewhere on the iPhone that doesn't get cleared/updated.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

11. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

I had this same problem! I was using my Verizon account and spotlight had found all of them. What I ended having to do is do a clean fresh install but all the info was gone. So, if it that important to you that they not be there then as of right now its the only way to remove them. I hope that helps some of you.:D

12. madget thread starter macrumors newbie

The strange thing is that this isn't necessarily just an OS 3.0 bug -- if anything, OS 3.0 revealed the problem. Obviously those emails were also not being delated with the older operating systems - mine date back from at least a year. It just took Spotlight to find where they have been hiding...

And if people want to confirm that it's not a server issue... put your iPhone into Airplane Mode and do the Spotlight search... those "deleted" emails still show up.

13. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Very interesting.

This doesn't bother me though.