Spotlight for Microsoft Word documents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mosey, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Mosey macrumors member

Spotlight will not find text within a Microsoft Word document. It will find it in .rtf and .pdf files. I have checked the box for "Documents" in the Spotlight Preferences. I tried indexing Spotlight and it didn't help. I have and iMac with Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 and have a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo. What do I need to do to fix Spotlight?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What kind of .doc files do you have, meaning as what Word version do you save them?

3. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

I'm using Word:mac 2004 Version 11.2 (060202). I save them as ".doc", so they can be loaded into MS Word in a PC and vice-versa.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I just saved a text document in two versions (.doc and .docx) and Spotlight had no problem finding them, though I saved them onto my Desktop, but I have no exclusions in my Spotlight preferences, except external HDDs.

I'm using MS Office 2008 (yeah, ***** software) and Mac OS X 10.6.5. Have you run the latest updates for your Office version?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Spotlight can find text in any MS Office document. You may need to repair permissions.

6. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

On the PC I think it's MS Word 2003. On the Mac it's Word:mac 2004 Version 11.2 (060202). Most of the files are created and only edited on the Mac, then I copy them to USB drive and then to my PC at work and read them there. I don't have anything excluded in the Spotlight Preferences.

7. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode, but that didn't help. I don't have any of the CDs that came with the iMac (lost in the last move). Where can I get the Disk Utility?

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

9. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

OK, I ran Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions. It didn't help. I also ran Verify Disk (Repair Disk is grayed out) and that didn't help either.
    Does anybody have any more ideas to try? Spotlight still won't find any text within a MS Word document.