Spotlight forgets an item

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ashleyuv814, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ashleyuv814 macrumors newbie

Today I tried to use Spotlight like I habitually do to open a document without opening all of the folders in which it is nested. I have opened this particular file probably a hundred times over the last month and at least as recently as 2 days ago.

The document name is:

ETH2050-001-F14-attend.xlsx

But when I put in 001 attend, that document didn't list (anywhere within the list) and instead had as its top search item

SF1-001-attend.xlsx

Now I know why it listed the SF1 file (namely, because it includes "001" and "attend"), but I do not know why it didn't immediately find the file that I had been using more recently, i.e. the ETH2050 file. In fact, I hadn't opened the SF1 file for at least 9 months, if not longer.

I immediately reindexed Spotlight and the problem was solved. Now Spotlight brings up the more recent file, i.e. ETH2050. But what I want to know is why Spotlight would forget an item like that.

Any ideas?

I had thought maybe it was the uptime, but apparently that was only 5 days, which for me is not that long. And still, there have been other times when I've had the computer on that long and it hasn't made that mistake.

So I am concerned. And looking at the Console there are no mds messages or Spotlight messages.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try this as an experiment by replacing the - with / to see if Spotlight forgets it again.

3. ashleyuv814 thread starter macrumors newbie

I assumed you meant replacing the hyphens in the filename with backslashes. I did that and it had no effect. Spotlight had no problems.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then send Apple OS X Feedback send see if they fix this in 10.10.