Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Frustration:

mds takes up over 100 megs of my 1 gig of RAM. A tenth? As much as the kernel??!

Questsion:

Spotlight only seems to find useless crap, like a Safari page I visited 3 weeks ago, but nothing useful, such as a lost function. Just before posting this, I noticed that I can search for my PHP files by filename, but the content of those files are not index, so I can't actually search for function names or variable names.

How do I control what it DOES index, rather than just including folders that it does not. Is there a "PHP Plugin" or something? If it indexed my source code files, I might start using the silly thing.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mainstreetmark said:
Frustration:

mds takes up over 100 megs of my 1 gig of RAM. A tenth? As much as the kernel??!

Questsion:

Spotlight only seems to find useless crap, like a Safari page I visited 3 weeks ago, but nothing useful, such as a lost function. Just before posting this, I noticed that I can search for my PHP files by filename, but the content of those files are not index, so I can't actually search for function names or variable names.

How do I control what it DOES index, rather than just including folders that it does not. Is there a "PHP Plugin" or something? If it indexed my source code files, I might start using the silly thing.

not exactly sure how it works but it uses meta data.
I usually use grep. you probably want a recursive grep which would be "grep -R" or just read the man file. I am sure if os x has it, and i am at work so i can't try it right now. however, if it doesn't you can do

Code:
find <path> -name <filenamepattern> | xargs grep <searchstring>

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
superbovine said:
not exactly sure how it works but it uses meta data.
I usually use grep. you probably want a recursive grep which would be "grep -R" or just read the man file. I am sure if os x has it, and i am at work so i can't try it right now. however, if it doesn't you can do

Code:
find <path> -name <filenamepattern> | xargs grep <searchstring>

I'm well versed in grep and do use it, but Spotlight's supposed to make things easier. It's taking 10th of my wired memory, without returning value to me. I use QuickSilver to jump to all my addresses and files anyways, but I'm really trying to get value out of Spotlight, and indexing my PHP files would be ideal. Metadata? They're just plain text files, with a PHP extension. I need to tell Spotlight to index PHP as if they were TXT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.